Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

We had a power outage the other day and it seems to have killed one of @APRIL's monitors. Is there anything I can possibly check and fix before we pitch it?
Pull the back off the monitor, find the power supply board, near where AC goes into the monitor there'll be a fuse on the board. Most likely soldered but there's a rare chance it could be socketed.

If that fuse looks blown and there's nothing else obviously blown on the board, you could take a gamble and replace it. Might spring to life, might blow right away.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and APRIL
Pull the back off the monitor, find the power supply board, near where AC goes into the monitor there'll be a fuse on the board. Most likely soldered but there's a rare chance it could be socketed.

If that fuse looks blown and there's nothing else obviously blown on the board, you could take a gamble and replace it. Might spring to life, might blow right away.
Doesn't look like anything that's user replaceable. But just for my understanding, which is the fuse in this picture? My assumption is the gray box below the warning.

LykgiLH.jpg

Doesn't look like anything that's user replaceable. But just for my understanding, which is the fuse in this picture? My assumption is the gray box below the warning.

LykgiLH.jpg
"Doesn't look like anything that's user replaceable."

*sees throughhole* Thats ALL user replaceable.

LykgiLH.jpg
F901 is the fuse.

Pull the board, flip it over, grab a multimeter and ohm out the fuse. If you don't read zero ohms, you could try sourcing another. Doesn't even have to be the same type of fuse, there's lots of room to use a couple wire scraps to jimmy rig in a 4A cartridge fuse or whatever.

If the fuse measures fine, you could gamble on replacing the whole power supply, or just toss the monitor and get another.

F901 is the fuse.

Pull the board, flip it over, grab a multimeter and ohm out the fuse. If you don't read zero ohms, you could try sourcing another. Doesn't even have to be the same type of fuse, there's lots of room to use a couple wire scraps to jimmy rig in a 4A cartridge fuse or whatever.

If the fuse measures fine, you could gamble on replacing the whole power supply, or just toss the monitor and get another.
Or if it measures > 0 ohms, de-solder it and just put a wire across and hope for the best.

Or if it measures > 0 ohms, de-solder it and just put a wire across and hope for the best.
If you do this, there's gonna be two outcomes:

(1) monitor works
(2) BANG

Plug in the wall end of the power cord first, then plug the other end into the monitor. That way you're not scorching the wall outlet.