Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

I've got the exact same SSD in my home computer + in a work machine doing DSP stuff that maxes out the drive doing reads.

SN750 is legit.

So I'm ready for a new PC build. Anyone see anything wrong with this? Bringing over my old GPU and PSU.

other than that its a fuckin awful time to buy processors or GPUs, no.

Bump up to 3600 ram to match the proc capability.

Look into the B550 implementation to ensure it doesnt limit the NVME slot to 2x if you have something in the x16 slot. Theyre tricksy fuckers when it comes to that.

Also wait. Whats the PC for if you're not gonna play games on it (hence the no GPU)?

other than that its a fuckin awful time to buy processors or GPUs, no.

Bump up to 3600 ram to match the proc capability.

Look into the B550 implementation to ensure it doesnt limit the NVME slot to 2x if you have something in the x16 slot. Theyre tricksy fuckers when it comes to that.

Also wait. Whats the PC for if you're not gonna play games on it (hence the no GPU)?
The USB on my motherboard is flaky as fuck. Several times a week wifi dies and I have to pull out the adapter. A year or so ago I assumed it was Windows and reformatted, but the problem returned.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
The USB on my motherboard is flaky as fuck. Several times a week wifi dies and I have to pull out the adapter. A year or so ago I assumed it was Windows and reformatted, but the problem returned.
Some wifi adapters are just like that.

Something to do with a shitty driver and USB power management, and changing some power management settings made it work.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
Speaking of adapters, I bought the one that lets me run NVMe drives in the wacky Apple slot on my Macbook Pro, which let me move from Apple's AHCI PCIe 2 lane to a Samsung NVMe 4 lane.

Old'n'busted:
APPLE SSD SM0512F : Intel Core i7-4850HQ.png

New hotness:
Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB : Intel Core i7-4850HQ.png

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
Boy howdy does TurboTax suck the big one this year on macs. Fucker just up and freezes at the drop of a hat.

I'm not sure where I can go from here, since H&R Block has sucked the big one for the better part of two decades.

Maybe I'll just do my taxes on the PC downstairs instead from now on.

Jesus wept, the fucking thing freezes hard if I try to print the return.

Boy howdy does TurboTax suck the big one this year on macs. Fucker just up and freezes at the drop of a hat.

I'm not sure where I can go from here, since H&R Block has sucked the big one for the better part of two decades.

That's just hackers/ cyber pirates remotely freezing/pausing your screen so they can copy your info by hand. Their software sucks too.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer

If you hire other people to handle your investments you should probably hire other people to handle your taxes too. Plausible deniability and all.

I always do mine on H&R online. What's so bad about HR?

I always do mine on H&R online. What's so bad about HR?
Nothin. I always run mine through two of the free services and see which one gives a bigger refund. Taxact always beat out turbotax for me, but in recent years, Credit Karma tax has matched taxact and its free/better designed

Nothin. I always run mine through two of the free services and see which one gives a bigger refund. Taxact always beat out turbotax for me, but in recent years, Credit Karma tax has matched taxact and its free/better designed
Do you have a lot of deductions? I normally don't have enough deductions to make a difference.

Do you have a lot of deductions? I normally don't have enough deductions to make a difference.
not really, my shit is pretty simple. These days since they pumped up the standard deduction im not even itemized most years. Im close (like 22k of deductions vs 25 for the standard).

Yeah, cap gains from the selling of stocks and dividends from the holding of them.

I guess I'll be doing them online next year. Fuck the rest of this noise.
When I do mine I'll check and see if they have the option for capital gains. I'll probably do them this weekend.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
When I do mine I'll check and see if they have the option for capital gains. I'll probably do them this weekend.
I'm relieved that the IRS finally just let us aggregate into the various categories instead of reporting each sale. My 1099-B is 45 pages long. So much easier to do a section each for short term (covered and uncovered), long term (covered and uncovered) and then go on with life.