Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

ran outta array space again. and just as a did, had a drive fail during the night last night.

Gonna just suck it up and fill up all the bays which will give me another 20TB + a hot spare + replacing the drive that busted.

• Haha
Reactions: fly
ran outta array space again. and just as a did, had a drive fail during the night last night.

Gonna just suck it up and fill up all the bays which will give me another 20TB + a hot spare + replacing the drive that busted.
You knew you were running out of space, why wasn't an RFP already put in?

You knew you were running out of space, why wasn't an RFP already put in?

This one honestly caught me by surprise. A whole lotta automatic 4k upgrades happened all at once and I went from like 800gb to nothin in 24 hours

$4 Pi board

just bought 6 more 4tb drives that will fill out all the hotswap bays on the 4u.

Its gonna suck when i use these up from a cost perspective to switch to 8s, and a data transfer perspective. Ill probably have to rent an amazon snowball.

Boy's been playing minecraft instead of paying attention in school. Now I have to reformat his PC and make myself the administrator and keep minecraft off the thing he's using for school.

Maybe I'll put it back on the one downstairs so that he can play sometimes, but this garbage has to stop during the school day.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD and JAXvillain
Boy's been playing minecraft instead of paying attention in school. Now I have to reformat his PC and make myself the administrator and keep minecraft off the thing he's using for school.

Maybe I'll put it back on the one downstairs so that he can play sometimes, but this garbage has to stop during the school day.
Is that something you can fix with your router or whatever? Like block DNS lookups to Minecraft's servers, or block outgoing connections on whatever port it uses?

• Gravy
Reactions: JAXvillain

Just set the parental controls for after school hours for X amount of hours.

Instead of reconfiguring routers and permissions and stuff you could just try disciplining the boy.

Just throwing that out there, take it, leave it, take parts of it, ignore others, or whatever, just sayin'.

You want him to not do X because he can't or because he's not supposed to? There's a difference, and that difference has follow-on effects later in life.

Instead of reconfiguring routers and permissions and stuff you could just try disciplining the boy.

Just throwing that out there, take it, leave it, take parts of it, ignore others, or whatever, just sayin'.

You want him to not do X because he can't or because he's not supposed to? There's a difference, and that difference has follow-on effects later in life.
I told him not to do X, now I'm making sure he doesn't, by taking it away.

I told him not to do X, now I'm making sure he doesn't, by taking it away.

Fair enough, man. Not my business to tell you how to Dad (though you did put it out there in public thus inviting "advice"). Just saying not doing something because the methods to do it have been restricted and not doing it because good people just don't do that are entirely different things.
Same works the other way too. Doing something because people say you have to/should vs. doing it because it's the right thing to do, even if nobody's looking, etc.

Puberty/adolescents are pretty much paying for your raising. I'd be more concerned long term if they're too conformist or too "easy" rather than the other way around. Basically doormat vs. independent mind, etc.

Fair enough, man. Not my business to tell you how to Dad (though you did put it out there in public thus inviting "advice"). Just saying not doing something because the methods to do it have been restricted and not doing it because good people just don't do that are entirely different things.
Same works the other way too. Doing something because people say you have to/should vs. doing it because it's the right thing to do, even if nobody's looking, etc.

Puberty/adolescents are pretty much paying for your raising. I'd be more concerned long term if they're too conformist or too "easy" rather than the other way around. Basically doormat vs. independent mind, etc.
I'd just run away from home after that convoluted dissertation.