Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Ever had it happen overnight so the printer spends hours cooking the filament in the nozzle, leading to a bitch of a clog where it's just easier to switch out the throat and nozzle for a fresh one?

Maybe I've just got bad luck.
No, I haven't.

In fact (knock on wood), I haven't had much in the way of clogs that I haven't been able to resolve by just jamming more filament in and pushing it through.

There was the one time I learned that "hot tightening" the nozzle wasn't optional though.

That was a good time. Looked like when one of my kids had overextruded into their diaper and blown out the side.

What software do you use to design dildos for these things?

I don't think my copy of Lightwave from 2004 will still work. :fly:
Mixture of OpenSCAD (for simple/quick stuff) and Fusion 360 (for more polished stuff).

Both of them are CAD software, not really 3D modelling software, so you probably want a more freehand/artsy thing like Blender if you're getting all intricate with veins and stuff on your dildo.

Mixture of OpenSCAD (for simple/quick stuff) and Fusion 360 (for more polished stuff).

Both of them are CAD software, not really 3D modelling software, so you probably want a more freehand/artsy thing like Blender if you're getting all intricate with veins and stuff on your dildo.

The only thing I could justify a 3D printer for is to make custom covers for the intercom stations in each room.

I'd like to take them out and use the cutout in the wall for things like a temp/humidity sensor. shit like that.

So nothing fancy.

The other issue is that they're 7"x8.5".

I'm certainly a bit apprehensive about being able to design my own shit. Can someone remind me again what good newb software I should start watching videos for?

I picked up an old computer that I'm considering upgrading to record some music. It had Vista on it and it doesn't have an HDMI port lol. HDD is gone too. 4gb ram. Intel Pentium dual core processor, which I'm pretty sure will work for me.

I got two questions. Could it save me money? And is it likely it's going to be upgradable at all?

I figure I at least need a SSD, and maybe a motherboard though I could just use an adapter. I can work with Linux.

Edit to add- I'm not going to game on it so I don't need much of a graphics card. I haven't found it yet, but it should be in there because my brother wouldn't have had a reason to take it out.

how is it gonna save you money?

and if it doesnt have an hdmi, it might not have SATA either. at least not modern sata.

I picked up an old computer that I'm considering upgrading to record some music. It had Vista on it and it doesn't have an HDMI port lol. HDD is gone too. 4gb ram. Intel Pentium dual core processor, which I'm pretty sure will work for me.

I got two questions. Could it save me money? And is it likely it's going to be upgradable at all?

I figure I at least need a SSD, and maybe a motherboard though I could just use an adapter. I can work with Linux.

Edit to add- I'm not going to game on it so I don't need much of a graphics card. I haven't found it yet, but it should be in there because my brother wouldn't have had a reason to take it out.
For all the stuff it doesn't have, seems you could do much better on craigs. Someone will sell you a 2 year old machine they bought for $800 for $200. Depending on who owned it and their habits, it could be full of trash and virus' or factory clean and already upgraded.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
ive got about 6 machines 10 years newer than that that arent worth much more than giving away
Okay might want to through that one away then lol. Should I build one from scratch? I know I can buy one that meets my requirements for roughly the same cost of building one, but will the quality of parts be as good in a pre-built?

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
Okay might want to through that one away then lol. Should I build one from scratch? I know I can buy one that meets my requirements for roughly the same cost of building one, but will the quality of parts be as good in a pre-built?
Do you just want to record music on it? Do you want to edit music? Do you want to play vidya games on it? What you want to do depends on what the answer will be

Do you just want to record music on it? Do you want to edit music? Do you want to play vidya games on it? What you want to do depends on what the answer will be
Music production in general; editing, mixing, virtual instruments. I wouldn't run more than 10 tracks though and would use few plugins. I think my minimums will be about 2.8ghz Quad core (Maybe 6 core), 250gb SSD, 1T HDD, 16gb ram. My audio interface is external.

Fancy graphics and games are of no concern to me right now. The option to upgrade the graphics card would be cool, but I'm a console couch potato.

I'm pretty sure my laptop would record fine if the processor was faster than 1.6ghz