Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Okay, I don't think I can avoid having my own 3D printer any longer. What's a good 3D printer <$500 these days?

edit: IIRC, @gee mentioned one that came out in Nov of last year that was supposed to be pretty good.

Okay, I don't think I can avoid having my own 3D printer any longer. What's a good 3D printer <$500 these days?

edit: IIRC, @gee mentioned one that came out in Nov of last year that was supposed to be pretty good.
(1) Ender 3. Asa has one, Jehannum has one, know a few locals with 'em. It's a chinesium special that'll probably need the odd part replaced because the extruder broke or the power connector burnt off the control board or whatever... but there's so many of them out there that the printer is well understood/documented/figured out.

(2) Prusa Mini. $349 US. Within your budget, out of the box experience is gonna be excellent (it's a printer that doesn't need any "mods", it just kicks ass out of the box), print volume is 18x18x18cm which is smaller than the Ender3... but if you need something bigger printed, just get asa to print it :)

Amazon product ASIN B07GYRQVYV
Those ain't bad for a start.

If you want to plug it in and forget it, I'd probably go with the Prusa for $100 more.

• Love
  • Gravy
Reactions: fly and wetwillie
Do I need any of the options for it?

I'd spring for both build surface sheets, but I've never needed a filament sensor, and filament is all over Amazon.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
I'd go for the filament sensor, honestly.

Because if the filament breaks when it comes off the roll, which always fuckin' happens to me when I'm printing with old filament near the end of the roll and I'm not around to notice, taking the printer apart to fix it is a pain in the dick.

But yeah, no need to order 'Prusament'. Lots of good filament to be had off amazon, and if a small place like Halifax has a tech shop that makes their own filament, there might be a place in Tampa doing the same.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
I'd go for the filament sensor, honestly.

Because if the filament breaks when it comes off the roll, which always fuckin' happens to me when I'm printing with old filament near the end of the roll and I'm not around to notice, taking the printer apart to fix it is a pain in the dick.

But yeah, no need to order 'Prusament'. Lots of good filament to be had off amazon, and if a small place like Halifax has a tech shop that makes their own filament, there might be a place in Tampa doing the same.
I haven't had any issues with breakage needing that much attention. All I do is unclip the Bowden tube at the hot end, slide it out, and there's plenty of filament to grab with pliers.

I haven't had any issues with breakage needing that much attention. All I do is unclip the Bowden tube at the hot end, slide it out, and there's plenty of filament to grab with pliers.
Ever had it happen overnight so the printer spends hours cooking the filament in the nozzle, leading to a bitch of a clog where it's just easier to switch out the throat and nozzle for a fresh one?

Maybe I've just got bad luck.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor