Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Shit, forgot to mention it. Yes it did. I don't think the battery liked all that time in a hot panel van though. I assume it's supposed to not be round. :D

And I just realized that Amazon pushed back my cable order 2 weeks. I had to cancel the order, then reorder some different cables. I'd be fucking pissed if I was a 3P vendor getting 2 week delivery times while another is getting <1 week.
ha, it already was roundish already.... still works fine though

thats just the way they get and its not worth replacing them for 100 and whatever bucks

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
A friend and colleague of mine helps run a small internet exchange point here in Maine. I think there are 5 or 6 peers at this IXP right now, NetworkMaine being the largest participant as they have a Google and Netflix cache in their datacenter (NetworkMaine is run by the University of Maine). Some interesting statistics that you can see when Covid-19 hit Maine about 3 weeks ago, bandwidth usage spiked and the trend seems to be staying in place.

Capture.PNG

• Love
Reactions: fly
aww jeez. The kids have to start online shite next week, which means that my mid-2010 MBP has to come out of hibernation.

It needs a new battery and a new keyboard, so I ordered $130 worth of crap for a $60 laptop. Woo!

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and Josh
Ordered a BME280 temp sensor. Gonna set it up on a spare Pi Zero WH and use it in the greenhouse.

Going to power it with a solar charging usb battery pack.
If that's what you've got, I suppose I understand, but holy shit, a whole Pi for just measuring the temperature in your greenhouse?

Even if you do need the wifi, a Node MCU would be the more economical (both in dollars and watts) choice.

If that's what you've got, I suppose I understand, but holy shit, a whole Pi for just measuring the temperature in your greenhouse?

Even if you do need the wifi, a Node MCU would be the more economical (both in dollars and watts) choice.

A Pi Zero and a Node board cost the dame.

I have the Zero leftover from something else.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Hey, if you're throwing a pi zero in the greenhouse, throw a pi camera on it and get it to do a greenhouse timelapse over the growing season.

At least that way it'll do something a NodeMCU board won't do, and you won't have to listen to jenkum going THAT IS NOT THE MOST OPTIMALLY OPTIMIZED SOLUTION FOR THAT APPLICATION

What's the real point of measuring temp in his greenhouse? Seems in his climate he'd be more concerned about a heater and a good thermostat that won't crap under high humidity. Learning from your kitchen that your plants froze can't be that redeeming. :(

I get that but if you're home it sounds like you have to toodle out there to do that. Just get an automatic(wax) vent, it'll take care of that around 75f.

I don't want to spend the money on one.

Or a heater.

Maybe if we ever get our Trump Bucks I'll reconsider.

Regardless, a temp/humidity sensor is good to have.

The other issue is that there is no electric down there.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I've got the old car battery from the Focus, and some old ass solar panels, charge controller, shitty inverter.

Gonna see about placing the battery and such in the garden box which is 4 or so feet from the greenhouse.

Maybe it'll provide enough juice for something. :iono:

Have to make a small stand to put the battery on, easy enough with scraps.

There's a worldwide pandemic and I need shit to putter with.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer