Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

You can do one of those IBM flashed hba’s for like a buck fifty. Gets you 8 ports.

Price for the RAID card? I'm not using a fucking 4u. :lol:
looks like theyre ebaying in the 130ish range, so 75 shipped?, youd have to pick up cables though if you've got individual drives with no backplane. The cables i have are 8088 minisas to minisas.

I have both an areca 1261ML and an areca 1280ML. The 1280ML i think has 20 ports and the the 1261 has 16.

these ones: Amazon product ASIN B0728KRZYB

id google if anyone is using an areca card with your funky chinese mobo though. Ive run into a few mobos over the years that didnt like raid cards.

looks like theyre ebaying in the 130ish range, so 75 shipped?, youd have to pick up cables though if you've got individual drives with no backplane. The cables i have are 8088 minisas to minisas.

I have both an areca 1261ML and an areca 1280ML. The 1280ML i think has 20 ports and the the 1261 has 16.

these ones: Amazon product ASIN B0728KRZYB
That's pretty sweet. And yeah, there's like zero support or even any place to go for support for this Chinesium board.

So this is the board. I assume that I could just plug the vid card and your RAID card into it and (proably) be good to go?

Amazon product ASIN B06WWHJHT4

my only concern might be that you may not have enough pci-e lanes. That second pci-e slot could be 4x electrical, and could be as low as 1x depending how the board manu laid out the x79 pci-e lanes to physical slots.

It actually looks ok though if they didnt completely fuck up the x79 specification, it should be at x1 electrical, x16 electrical for the first slot, x8 for the second

my only concern might be that you may not have enough pci-e lanes. That second pci-e slot could be 4x electrical, and could be as low as 1x depending how the board manu laid out the x79 pci-e lanes to physical slots.

It actually looks ok though if they didnt completely fuck up the x79 specification, it should be at x1 electrical, x16 electrical for the first slot, x8 for the second
How could I figure that out?

edit: https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx2UTTTG9L88RPO/ref=ask_dp_lsw_al_hza?asin=B06WWHJHT4

thats the physical slot, which is often divorced from the electrical capabilities of said slot.

you're likely ok, the proc has 40 lanes and you've got 3 slots. You should have plenty on each slot
I have no idea what any of that means. :( I feel like 10-15 years ago, I'd know all that.

BTW, if you've never used Chime and are looking for something enterprise grade, free, and without all the privacy concerns of Zoom - AWS Chime is free till 7/1.

edit: You only need an account to start the meeting. No one else needs one, and its HTML5 native for FF/Chrome - so there is nothing to install.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
Got the i7-4770 installed, added the GTX-1080, 16GB of memory, my old 4TB WD reds, and upgraded to Windows 10 Pro so I can do a RAID-5 on the reds (in an external enclosure with an eSATA interface).

Played Doom 2016, and it is super smooth.

Gonna get Doom Eternal this weekend probably.

I may need a beefier HSF than the low-profile one that was on the i3-4330 that came before the i7.

Got the i7-4770 installed, added the GTX-1080, 16GB of memory, my old 4TB WD reds, and upgraded to Windows 10 Pro so I can do a RAID-5 on the reds (in an external enclosure with an eSATA interface).

Played Doom 2016, and it is super smooth.

Gonna get Doom Eternal this weekend probably.

I may need a beefier HSF than the low-profile one that was on the i3-4330 that came before the i7.
That's a pretty solid system

Then what's the problem?
I thought, based on what I saw on my old LGA775 socket procs, that intel might ship with other, bigger coolers for it's higher TDP procs.

Intel's Ark specs say that both the previous and the current take the PCG 2013D cooler though, and that's what it's got.

edit: I may still replace it with a bigger one for noise considerations.