Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

I haven't heard good things about Frontier. Also the company is bankrupt or will be shortly due to crazy purchases of properties that other telcos couldn't make money on.

So to necrobump my post from last year. I did buy that Denon receiver and (single) heos wireless speaker. I'll get a second heos speaker at some point for basement or parties outside, but that's back burner. I didn't buy any speakers since last year, so the receiver sat unused for a year because of other things I wanted to get done around the house. I've been perusing Facebook marketplace in the meantime to see if I could find any good deals and happened on this:

View attachment 10194

Five used Klipsch speakers, model SF2 floorstanding and a nice center channel speaker. $450.00 cash. Center channel speaker is unfortunately too big to fit in the TV stand that I have with the receiver in it (one or the other). I kind of figured that would be an issue when I went to pick up the speakers. One of the floorstanding speakers has a broken binding post bolt. Looking around Amazon to find a replacement. For now I have 2 speakers hooked up until I get that binding post fixed, and slightly larger TV stand. I'm not really jazzed on mounting the TV to the wall, but maybe I can be convinced. These speakers are loud as fuck. Can't wait to have all 5 hooked up. Also need to pick up a powered sub, though these speakers have good bass. Home theater coming together.

This is sweet.

Binding post is a pretty standard thing available all kinda places.

A dedicated sub would be as much about eliminating room modes/cancellations from the spacing of the speakers as much as extending fr.

Those things will reach deep enough for general music listening or movie watching. When you take the low-end demand off them and let them sing you gonna need a real sub to keep up.

This is sweet.

Binding post is a pretty standard thing available all kinda places.

A dedicated sub would be as much about eliminating room modes/cancellations from the spacing of the speakers as much as extending fr.

Those things will reach deep enough for general music listening or movie watching. When you take the low-end demand off them and let them sing you gonna need a real sub to keep up.
I'm actually finding it hard to locate a replacement binding post. Klipsch of course seems to use proprietary parts. Closest one I found is this:
Amazon product ASIN B07Q9QRX52
The bent metal piece is already soldered on the back side of the plastic housing. Just need the nut and bolt/binding post...also my speakers don't accept banana plugs. :/ If these work I could replace them all and use the Amazon Basics banana plugs that I bought already.

I do know not to get a Klipsch subwoofer. They die right at warranty expiration. So I'll get some other brand. Don't want downfiring since I have a medium high pile carpeted floor (want to rip carpets out and put in wood floors some day). I think the carpet would muffle the subwoofer if downfiring.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I'm actually finding it hard to locate a replacement binding post. Klipsch of course seems to use proprietary parts. Closest one I found is this:
Amazon product ASIN B07Q9QRX52
The bent metal piece is already soldered on the back side of the plastic housing. Just need the nut and bolt/binding post...also my speakers don't accept banana plugs. :/ If these work I could replace them all and use the Amazon Basics banana plugs that I bought already.

I do know not to get a Klipsch subwoofer. They die right at warranty expiration. So I'll get some other brand. Don't want downfiring since I have a medium high pile carpeted floor (want to rip carpets out and put in wood floors some day). I think the carpet would muffle the subwoofer if downfiring.

Leave it to Klipsch to use some proprietary something or other :/

In the end it's just a speaker connection, + & -, that's it.

For a dedicated sub your floor material means nothing. That damping effect matters in the mid/high frequencies, for <100 or lower wavelengths it doesn't even know it's there. Lots of hocus pocus in audio stuff.

A 1TB SSD is roughly three times as expensive as a 2TB spinning disk and doesn't give me any size increase

Your post is dumb.

fine. Here Ya fuckin polyp

Seagate FireCuda Gaming (Compute) 2TB Solid State Hybrid Drive Performance SSHD - 2.5 Inch SATA 6GB/s Flash Accelerated for Gaming PC Laptop - Frustration Free Packaging (ST2000LX001) Amazon product ASIN B07H2F3741

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie
fine. Here Ya fuckin polyp

Seagate FireCuda Gaming (Compute) 2TB Solid State Hybrid Drive Performance SSHD - 2.5 Inch SATA 6GB/s Flash Accelerated for Gaming PC Laptop - Frustration Free Packaging (ST2000LX001) Amazon product ASIN B07H2F3741
Yes, that's the one I found. I was hoping to find something bigger so I don't have to do this again.

Just get an external. You can't really need immediate access to over 2TB worth of data, can you?
Likely not, no. It's less about immediate access and more about peace of mind.
I've had external and internal hard drives fail. As a result there are maybe 4-6 years of pictures I've lost. Half of my deployment, some of the best pictures of my grandparent's house, and a bunch of others. Since this happened I just dont like deleting shit that I've created.

Combine that with the fact that I've started keeping more RAW files, and the solid models of various projects are in the range of 300Mb, space is low.

Likely not, no. It's less about immediate access and more about peace of mind.
I've had external and internal hard drives fail. As a result there are maybe 4-6 years of pictures I've lost. Half of my deployment, some of the best pictures of my grandparent's house, and a bunch of others. Since this happened I just dont like deleting shit that I've created.

Combine that with the fact that I've started keeping more RAW files, and the solid models of various projects are in the range of 300Mb, space is low.
Well, the only way to fix that is either with cloud backup, or multiple drives.