Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

wirecutter reviews still a cromulent source of info?

I need a new router and modem, but things have changed since my pappy's 802.11b days, so I'm not sure what's good anymore.
go enterprise shit. Ubiquiti for apple ease of use, and good performance, or mikrotik for full unix-greybeard flexibility.

go enterprise shit. Ubiquiti for apple ease of use, and good performance, or mikrotik for full unix-greybeard flexibility.
No. I have a 2500 sq.ft. 2 story house, I don't need a goddamned mesh network with an AP in every room. My use case should be thoroughly exploited in consumer-level gear.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
No. I have a 2500 sq.ft. 2 story house, I don't need a goddamned mesh network with an AP in every room. My use case should be thoroughly exploited in consumer-level gear.
you're such a dinosaur. A single self-managed ubiquiti ac pro should service your whole house.

consumer level gear is all shiny nonsense. But then again, you're an apple user, so maybe thats what you like.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
My current setup is a slightly older version of one of those plus an Airport Express for 802.11n.

The all-in-one modem/router combos are such shit, I have to reboot that motherfucker like once a week.
Our previous Motorola AIO was shit, same issues of reboots and general fuckery. The current motorola(supplied by Comcast no less) works a charm. This topic was timely AF - I'm getting rid of all rented gear. Already returned all cable boxes and have removed the cable jack and drywalled over in every room as I paint. That outdated shit-nipple is in every room - even the kitchen and bathrooms. Previous owner(lives next door, still rocking "Dish").

Our previous Motorola AIO was shit, same issues of reboots and general fuckery. The current motorola(supplied by Comcast no less) works a charm. This topic was timely AF - I'm getting rid of all rented gear. Already returned all cable boxes and have removed the cable jack and drywalled over in every room as I paint. That outdated shit-nipple is in every room - even the kitchen and bathrooms. Previous owner(lives next door, still rocking "Dish").
Welp, I haven't heard anyone dish on the Wirecutter being bought out and providing biased reviews, so for consumer stuff, I'd probably head over there.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie