Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

@fly this is what an m.2 socket looks like

m.2-motherboard-socket-1024x685.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
that is correct. No m.2 for you.

That said, i love that we're getting less and less discrete cabling and components. The m2 drive i have in my main pc has the thing booted by the time i can turn the monitor on.
Just picked up a 1TB M.2 and a PCI-E card. My Plex SSD is filling up, so I plan on using the new drive for all the trailers/jpgs/shit, and also as a high speed landing zone for new media. Then I'm writing a PowerShell script to move the shit off to platters FIFO.

every time i think NVRAM pricing has hit rock bottom it crashes out more.

@fly things to know with m.2

1) m.2 is only the physical standard, it doesnt have anything to do with speed
2) there are two m.2 options: nvme and sataIII. sataIII is old and speed limited.
3) you're gonna see numbers like 2230, 2280, etc. This is the physical length of the m.2 card, make sure your pci-e card supports the longer m.2 cards
4) you need to give it a lot of pci-e lanes for it not to be speed limited. 1x may not cut it, especially not at pci-e 2.0 slots

the one i got (nvme pcie 3.0 x4) maxes out that spec. its got 3.8 GB/s reads and writes. The chips are faster. storage is limited by the interface and the storage controller these days

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
The newest desktop in my house takes DDR2.

Is that bad?

does it have RGB blinkenlights and a tempered glass case? Cause if not you might be old.

Seriously, apparently thats the in thing these days. Its the equivalent of the cold cathode tubes and giant mega-tower cylon looking cases we all used to have in the early 2000s.

• Gravy
every time i think NVRAM pricing has hit rock bottom it crashes out more.

@fly things to know with m.2

1) m.2 is only the physical standard, it doesnt have anything to do with speed
2) there are two m.2 options: nvme and sataIII. sataIII is old and speed limited.
3) you're gonna see numbers like 2230, 2280, etc. This is the physical length of the m.2 card, make sure your pci-e card supports the longer m.2 cards
4) you need to give it a lot of pci-e lanes for it not to be speed limited. 1x may not cut it, especially not at pci-e 2.0 slots
Remember, I don't really give a shit about I/O as much as you do. ;)

Remember, I don't really give a shit about I/O as much as you do. ;)
its ok, i care enough for both of us.

My point is though that theres no point to getting a pci card and an m2 drive if its going in a low bw pci-e slot or is a sataIII m2 card. You're not getting any gains over a plain old 2.5 ssd by doing so

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and MadDog
its ok, i care enough for both of us.

My point is though that theres no point to getting a pci card and an m2 drive if its going in a low bw pci-e slot or is a sataIII m2 card. You're not getting any gains over a plain old 2.5 ssd by doing so
I want it because I'm out of drive bays. I picked up a 1TB for $120. If it performs as well as an SSD, I'll be happy.

No, but with the death of Inbox, I've started using Spike (not Spark). It's fucking awesome.
That looks nice, but i specifically want to schedule to send an email x weeks from now, with a few files as attachments. I can calendar myself to do that(current method), but that's not what I want to do. Some poor fuck working at a law office is probably the main user of a feature like that. Might be good for sending post-suicide messages to people or such.:oops: Sorry I got grim there.

• Gravy