Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

What are you backing that all up with? Or are you just CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROLLLLLL!!!

:lol:

The important stuff is backed up to USB drives or another NAS.

I forgot to add the externals I use for backups.

The TV and Movie libraries have a duplicate copy on a different array so I could just point Plex to the hot spare location and not have any aggravation, for example.

OK, honest question, though probably old guy and out of touch, and it goes together with what's being talked about in the Hot Deals thread....

What is all this data you guys need all this storage for?

I understand family photos, home movies of Christmas and birthdays, financial and medical records, general bookkeeping, accounting, tax stuff, manuals for all your machines, etc. but that can't possibly explain dozens of terabytes.

Is it the modern version of someone who got a daily newspaper their whole life and never threw one away?

A movie or book buff who has them piled to the ceiling even though they've watched or read them all?

I'm missing something.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
OK, honest question, though probably old guy and out of touch, and it goes together with what's being talked about in the Hot Deals thread....

I understand family photos, home movies of Christmas and birthdays, financial and medical records, general bookkeeping, accounting, tax stuff, manuals for all your machines, etc. but that can't possibly explain dozens of terabytes.

Is it the modern version of someone who got a daily newspaper their whole life and never threw one away?

A movie or book buff who has them piled to the ceiling even though they've watched or read them all?

I'm missing something.
I maintain a 24TB ZFS pool, but I'm at that size purely because 8TB drives are the sweet spot these days, and my old 4TB drives were at 5 years of wear, so they were likely as not to fail within a year or so.

I have a couple terabytes of photos, and a few hundred gigglebites of actual documents.

I also have a backup strategy that involves off-site transfer unlike @Valve1138's whackamole approach, because I damn near lost some irreplaceable stuff a while back and I'm not going to do that again.

The rest of the hoarded space is used for media and OTA PVR stuff, which is ephemeral in that I don't care if it suddenly goes missing.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I maintain a 24TB ZFS pool, but I'm at that size purely because 8TB drives are the sweet spot these days, and my old 4TB drives were at 5 years of wear, so they were likely as not to fail within a year or so.

I have a couple terabytes of photos, and a few hundred gigglebites of actual documents.

I also have a backup strategy that involves off-site transfer unlike @Valve1138's whackamole approach, because I damn near lost some irreplaceable stuff a while back and I'm not going to do that again.

The rest of the hoarded space is used for media and OTA PVR stuff, which is ephemeral in that I don't care if it suddenly goes missing.

OK that doesn't sound too weird.

Did something change where photos (better quality obvs) or documents (no idea why) take up a lot more space per each?

Or is your wife like mine where she'll snap 100 photos of some thing and instead of just keeping the few best ones they all get kept?

Couple terabytes of pictures and a few hundred gigs of documents seems like it could be hundreds of thousands or millions of each.

Last edited:

I’ve been thinking of offsite backup for a while now.

But who can you trust with important documents?

OK that doesn't sound too weird.

Did something change where photos (better quality obvs) or documents (no idea why) take up a lot more space per each?

Or is your wife like mine where she'll snap 100 photos of some thing and instead of just keeping the few best ones they all get kept?

Couple terabytes of pictures and a few hundred gigs of documents seems like it could be hundreds of thousands or millions of each.
I keep the high quality JPG (6-8MB per pic) and the RAW file (16-18MB per pic) from my DSLR.

• Gravy

I'm missing something.
Plex. All mine is TV and movies. Something like 26TB and counting.

• Gravy
Plex. All mine is TV and movies. Something like 26TB and counting.

So you store a ton of movies and TV shows. This so friends can load them up from you and watch them? Like you're a little neighborhood video store, like I :heart: Video Pizza?
Do you serve pizza?

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel