Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Just use plywood, it's more dimensionally stable than normal wood.

Hell, use OSB to make it match the decor of your murderbasement.

im still anti-osb. Ive warmed up to ply a bit from my prior "fuck all things that arent high grade cherry/maple" stance.

wood product hierarchy

1) actual hardwood
2) actual softwood
3) hardwood ply
4) baltic birch ply
4) sanded shitty pine ply
5) all other plys
6) MDF
7) fiberboard

yeah, thats not bad at all, if you put that in front of me, i might think it was butternut from a distance.

The veneered MDF in the bookcases wasn't bad either, but I fuckin' hate MDF.

good mdf can be durable, but the shitty stuff is literally cardboard (its all literally cardboard... but you get my point). If theres not enough glue in it, the layers come apart stupid easy and its just impossible to work with

good mdf can be durable, but the shitty stuff is literally cardboard (its all literally cardboard... but you get my point). If theres not enough glue in it, the layers come apart stupid easy and its just impossible to work with
At the time I built the book cases, the only option I had in sheet goods for hickory was MDF-core.

At $85 per sheet, it damn well better be the good stuff (it is).

At the time I built the book cases, the only option I had in sheet goods for hickory was MDF-core.

At $85 per sheet, it damn well better be the good stuff (it is).
Man, at 85 bucks a sheet why not just get real hardwood ply

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

Man, at 85 bucks a sheet why not just get real hardwood ply

Couldn't get hickory ply for love or money.

In retrospect, that probably should have spurred me to get a bandsaw and make some veneer to make my own hardwood ply (with BLACKJACK AND HOOKERS), but ultimately I just got the MDF core instead.

Couldn't get hickory ply for love or money.

In retrospect, that probably should have spurred me to get a bandsaw and make some veneer to make my own hardwood ply (with BLACKJACK AND HOOKERS), but ultimately I just got the MDF core instead.
I've never minded the horizontal surfaces on shelves being a different species, as long as it generally looks close. Of course everything is face framed in the original species. I

I've never minded the horizontal surfaces on shelves being a different species, as long as it generally looks close. Of course everything is face framed in the original species. I

Yeah, I could have done birch and KINDA gotten away with it, but I'm much happier with the matching face frames and carcasses being the same species.

Yeah, I could have done birch and KINDA gotten away with it, but I'm much happier with the matching face frames and carcasses being the same species.
Yep, if you can do it it's always the best choice

Watching "Bodyguard" Netflix series on TV today and saw this. Like not even trying here, come on graphics department. Otherwise a decent series.
de5f2dfcddbb3acb2062bbcfe1756724.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Taking my life into my own hands here and buying some seagate drives off a dude at work. 40 bucks per 4tb.

I expect to immediately regret this decision, but perhaps seagates suck less than they used to. Ill run a hot spare just in case they dont.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh