Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

This RX460 is still murdering the fuck out of the math problem I've got.

Take one set of 2^24, 64-bit codes, and a 2nd set of 2^16, 64-bit codes.
Make a histogram of the hamming distance between all of 1st code set and the 2nd code set. And do such over multiple shifts of one code over the other, and multiple ways of creating the 2^24 codes.

What used to take overnight on the CPU now takes 14 seconds on the GPU. There's something to be said for 896 cores at 1200MHz that can XOR together eight 64-bit ulong's in a single clock cycle, and calculate the ones count of the eight results in the following clock cycle. Doing the histogram is the slow part.

Now imagine if you were using a gpu company that actually optimized for compute and has a good language

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Now imagine if you were using a gpu company that actually optimized for compute and has a good language

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Maybe next time. I did the dev work on this machine using Visual Studio Express and CodeXL, swapping ATI for NVidia would have taken a few days to get used to new tools. Now that I can run a long simulation to completion, I'll probably be done this work in a few days.

Plus ATI was canadian, eh. Got to support the local hosers.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon and Jehannum
Maybe next time. I did the dev work on this machine using Visual Studio Express and CodeXL, swapping ATI for NVidia would have taken a few days to get used to new tools. Now that I can run a long simulation to completion, I'll probably be done this work in a few days.

Plus ATI was canadian, eh. Got to support the local hosers.

ati eh. hasnt been ati in a long time, although i still call them that on reflex.

They've still got a big design office in Markham, one of the guys I graduated EE with works there. I'm probably using something he made, heh.

I'm looking for a spreadsheet and document app that I can use offline and online on a tablet and a desktop. Y'all know any good ones?

Libreoffice looks pretty cool. I'm going to try it first. Part of me thinks I should go with Google, but I've always thought it's a bit convoluted.