Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Fucking wayback machine time.

Doing a Google of myself (funny how little of my info is actually out there after all this time), I found this thread from 1998, which still exists on a number of repositories, about Linux firewalls.

Still some decent info, even if it's over 15 years old now.

http://marc.info/?l=firewalls-gc&m=88679174002683&w=2

I hate it when i google a very specific problem, and what i find is my own post from like 12 years ago, about the same problem. I dont even remember posting it the first time, and i usually read about 5 or 6 posts before i realize i wrote what im reading.

That isn't a life worth living, imo. Anything for a long period time is too static. Like my grandparents have lived in the same house for over 50 years... 50 years in the same house. Get what I'm saying?

... 50 years at the same house is just fine. Also, its their home, not a randomass house.

They raised their kids there, they probably moved in there when they got married, theyll probably die their. Its not the wood and concrete, its the things that have happened there.

I think we have different definitions of enjoy.

Did you enjoy HR? Cause it never really sounded like you did, but by what you said above "you do something you enjoy until you find something you enjoy more"

Also, it's pretty damned silly to invalidate everyone else's experiences solely based on your own.
I am not invalidating anyone's experiences; I put "IMO" when this all started.
That isn't a life worth living, imo. Anything for a long period time is too static. Like my grandparents have lived in the same house for over 50 years... 50 years in the same house. Get what I'm saying?

I enjoy things like anyone else until I find something that I enjoy more. This is an ever evolving need as I grow older and likes and dislikes change. IMO, a person is pretty simple-minded if they enjoy only one job/career their whole life. There is so much more that needs to be experienced. Wapner at four.

... 50 years at the same house is just fine. Also, its their home, not a randomass house.

They raised their kids there, they probably moved in there when they got married, theyll probably die their. Its not the wood and concrete, its the things that have happened there.
there*

They have been convinced to sell the house and move closer to my parents because they are getting too old to live on their own.

Plus this whole living in the same house, having the same career for life stuff is our grandparents generation and older. You're just old, Domon.

I am not invalidating anyone's experiences; I put "IMO" when this all started.

I enjoy things like anyone else until I find something that I enjoy more. This is an ever evolving need as I grow older and likes and dislikes change. IMO, a person is pretty simple-minded if they enjoy only one job/career their whole life. There is so much more that needs to be experienced. Wapner at four.

So someone who dedicates their life to getting a PHD in astrophysics and that line of work is simple minded? :lol:
Pot, meet kettle.

Attaching emotion to things is how hording starts. I'm obviously not suggesting you, since you're unable to attach emotion to anything...

So someone who dedicates their life to getting a PHD in astrophysics and that line of work is simple minded? :lol:
Pot, meet kettle.

There are simple tools that are really good at one job. That doesn't detract from the life of either the single goal person or career jumper.

Ahhh, i see now. This is just all in support of the trade-in theory.
@APRIL is coming up on 10 years most likely, and its not good to keep anything for 10 years directly from her mouth, so she cant be upset when you trade her in after the time has passed.

I get it.

orrrr... maybe she's going to trade you in.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about multiple positions with one employer?

Noone's saying that spending 40 years as a mcdonalds cook is a good thing, but what if over those 40 years you progress from cook to shift leader to manager to regional manager to franchise owner to corporate director to vice president of mcdonalds?

I hate it when i google a very specific problem, and what i find is my own post from like 12 years ago, about the same problem. I dont even remember posting it the first time, and i usually read about 5 or 6 posts before i realize i wrote what im reading.
This has happened to me also. I laughed uncontrollably when I saw the xkcd strip about this same thing.

It's best when your post from 12 years ago is still unanswered.

Pot, meet kettle.
Of course not, but someone who works in a typical office job or other position that doesn't have real meaning to their life sure are.

There are so many people that just do the grind because that is all they know and they don't dare to try living outside the box. That is a simple minded person.

Of course not, but someone who works in a typical office job or other position that doesn't have real meaning to their life sure are.

There are so many people that just do the grind because that is all they know and they don't dare to try living outside the box. That is a simple minded person.
Or someone who has to make sure their children have food and a home.

Maybe it's because they put the needs of others in front of theirs?