WTF Rancho Relaxo: ambitious but crap

Jehannum

Puts the "pro" in procrastination
Jul 24, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Marklar
₥107,715
So, in December of last year, I moved into a new place. Unlike the old house, this one has a garage (the old one had a driveway, and the master bedroom was converted from the garage). It's a smallish 3 car garage, in that I couldn't fit 3 full size cars or trucks inside - it's got a 16 foot door and an 8 foot door. The 16 footer has a motor, while the 8 footer is manual.

I'm fortunate in that I only have one relatively large car, and my toys aren't that big:
DSC_0027.JPG

It came with many storage things, none of which were well thought out or constructed. This set of shelves nearly kept the 300ZX from fitting in the garage at all:
DSC_0028.JPG

This shows the other set of shelves which was knocked up beside where the car should park, and was an issue in getting my daughter in and out of the Infiniti. It also features the Cabinet-of-dubious-construction (the yellow thing in the front, fabricated entirely of particle board, without a back, but nailed into the studs):
DSC_0029.JPG

It also has a bunch of shoddy sheetrock work. I suspect that someone long on ambition but short on talent decided that the unsheetrocked parts of the garage needed insulation and rock, but didn't see it all the way through. I aim to change that.

Today was demolition day. I ended it like this:
DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

When the water heater goes (and it likely won't be long), I plan to replace the furnace with a sealed combustion unit and the water heater with a condensing sealed combustion tankless unit, so I can get rid of the floor vent and huge vent stack (it's a 6" flue inside a 12" air return).

Gonna do that garage floor covering stuff?

Nah, I haven't had good luck with it here - I did the epoxy stuff with my dad in his garage, and it peeled up under the tires of the cars about a month later. I'd rather put the money into better lights. Right now it has 3 fairly randomly placed fluorescent fixtures, I'm planning to put some LED lamps, and possibly some under-cabinet lighting where the workbench goes.

Sweet project!

Gonna have a mancave corner or something?

I will be putting these cabinets into the corner where the scaffolding is now:
DSC_0002_006.JPG

My son helped me build them 2 years ago.
DSC_0001_001.JPG

I'll probably also put furring strips on that wall (where the cabinets aren't), and hang peg board on that.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and Valve1138
Nah, I haven't had good luck with it here - I did the epoxy stuff with my dad in his garage, and it peeled up under the tires of the cars about a month later. I'd rather put the money into better lights. Right now it has 3 fairly randomly placed fluorescent fixtures, I'm planning to put some LED lamps, and possibly some under-cabinet lighting where the workbench goes.
That sucks. Shouldn't have been a humidity issue, did you figure out why, or just pull it up and move onto the next project?

I love LED light strips and such, but I hate that they don't yet have widely accessible "natural" light colors for LEDs. Too much blue in the light for my eyes.

I remember with the epoxy there's some acid wash prep in addition to all of the other needed prep that was highly recommended. (there was a shit ton of prep work ) We did it all. But the P's drive straight in and straight out. I'd imagine if there was repeated turning of the tires on it there could be some damage.

LEDS just dont throw enough lumens yet for the price. I specced out my woodshop a while back, and wanted to go LED, but good old T8s were like 1/10 the price.

I remember with the epoxy there's some acid wash prep in addition to all of the other needed prep that was highly recommended. (there was a shit ton of prep work ) We did it all. But the P's drive straight in and straight out. I'd imagine if there was repeated turning of the tires on it there could be some damage.
Yeah, I did all that shit - wasted like 4 push brooms pushing the acid around.

But in the end, it's not a living space in the house, so my prime consideration for the floor is cleanliness, not necessarily aesthetics, and I can achieve that with a hose.

I will texture and paint the walls, though. No sense leaving the sheetrock unprotected against stains.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
thats a good point. All the dirt will get lodged in the texture and itll look disgusting. whether its just exhaust from the cars, sprayed up dirt from washing the floor with a hose, sawdust, grinding debris, anything.

LEDS just dont throw enough lumens yet for the price. I specced out my woodshop a while back, and wanted to go LED, but good old T8s were like 1/10 the price.
This. And the efficiency of LEDs isn't much better to boot with good ballasts/tubes. And you can pick your color temperature when you buy tubes.

I still run CFLs everywhere in my house.