R.I.P. Geocities

Duke

. . first name's "Daisy" boys
May 12, 2008
Brandon, FL
Marklar
₥36,362
http://www.pcworld.com/article/163765/so_long_geocities_we_forgot_you_still_existed.html

I honestly had forgotten that Geocities was still around. After today, it seems we now have a date as to when it will be taken off life support.

Really, it's only notable, to me at least, anymore for what it was like to be one of the first people to sign up for a geocity neighboorhood way back when. It was cool where they laid out the entire hosting services in visual neighborhoods, where you could pick a 'plot', and build your 'site'. The neighborhood concept allowed you to check out other peoples sites too. Back then, search engines really hadn't taken off. This was 1995.

I remember making a ton of sites back in the day. Some were game fansites, others were stupid attempts at making 'the super duper tech news site', all on no money and no time. Either way, Geocities was my gateway drug to the internet.

No so much sad at the news it's going away, just reflective.

Pretty sure I still have a couple sites floating out there somewhere. Probably still tied in to my Juno email address, like I know what that was anymore.

geocities, angelfire, etc... the first homes of free personal webpages... no bandwidth limits back then either, mainly becuase on 14.4's nobody could do serious damage.

i dont even know where you get such a thing anymore.

Dont forget xoom, the one that actually had a pleasing visual style -.-

Geocities I noticed when I signed up for yahoo email wayyyy back when. Long time ago, when the internet was only at the public library. It kinda died after 56k cause half the sites would be down at any given time because of bandwith.

Remember how they had "neighborhoods", you'd get your own "house", and then you could view your neighborhood? That used to be interesting. I think I used fortunecity more than geocities since fortunecity didn't have annoying banner ads like geocities did.

edit: maybe I'm gettign the two confused. I dunno.

Last edited:
Remember how they had neighborhoods, you'd get your own house, and then you could view your neighborhood? That used to be interesting.

Yup. Unit 1942 in Area 51. All the houses looked like UFOs, landed, in a grassy suburb.

My first homestead. I still remember it clearly. I'm pretty sure I used it for a fansite for a game called Heavy Gear, and most likely for Mechwarrior 2 before that. I was such a mech-head back then.

man, that was a looooooooooooooong time ago.

Remember how they had "neighborhoods", you'd get your own "house", and then you could view your neighborhood? That used to be interesting. I think I used fortunecity more than geocities since fortunecity didn't have annoying banner ads like geocities did.

edit: maybe I'm gettign the two confused. I dunno.

Geocities originally didn't have banners until Yahoo came and fucked it all up. Fortunecity was a banner hell from the start, acting a lot like old school NetZero.

how does geocities go under? aren't they owned by yahoo?? I wish AOL would DIAF and we own them so I guess I can kind of understand