Question

shawndavid said:
I wrote a paper on government overspending in AP history in high school and there is a specific term for it that has escaped my memory and driven me crazy for many years now.

Does anyone know the term?
Yes. Government.

shawndavid said:
No, it's one word. I try running a search on it every couple of years. I wrote the damned paper in 11th grade, lost the word a couple years after that and have been freaking out once a year or so since then trying to grasp it again.
squandering?

Can you be more specific? If not try googling articles about Oversight committee Meetings, Budget Overrun analysis, etc.

If you can give us more synonyms or a better definition of the word/phrase you are looking for it will go better for you.

Help us help you.

def-i-cit 

I should know - I'm famous for overspending. : - )

This is a bizarre thing to freak out about - especially one time per year. Walk into the bathroom, go to the top drawer, and open pill bottle. Lord knows we have an abundance of "crazy people" drugs.

shawndavid said:
It is a word that is used specifically for this - it, I don't believe, has any other application.

I can't help myself - if I could I would.

Just wait til you have kids in 11th grade. More than likely you will pass down all of your human dictionary traits to them and history will repeat itself.