Question to Pet Owners . . . .

Dharma1521

Soooo do I look as young as I look?
Apr 5, 2006
Falls Church, VA
Marklar
₥2,197
Have any of you gone to Bannefield (sp?)? Its the pet hospital in PetSmart. They have an insurance plan that seems like a good deal; however, I don't want to lock myself in for a year if they suck.

OK, here's my opinion about Banfield. We took our dog there once, never again.

Their staff is competent and nice enough, but it is their policy to grab every dollar from you as they can. They will try to run every test they possibly can, some unnecessary as I later found out, and run up the bill all the while.

I don't know about the insurance they offer and what it covers, but be careful that it just isn't a trick to get you in the door so they can do a bunch of stuff that isn't covered...or beyond the alloted amount.

Also, how old is your pet? Is it generally healthy? If all you use the vet for is annual shots then insurance isn't worth it. If your pet is aging or likely to need random medical care then maybe.

i've only ever used them to get meds from. they price match internet prices which is awesome. i've been eying their plans for a while now but have never followed through. the main reason i've considered it is because my dog's teeth suck, and they include an annual cleaning (which requires general anesthetic).

As for grabbing cash, every vet I've ever used does the same. They make you feel like an asshole if you refuse to buy the absolute gold standard care for you pet, a lot of which is probably bs but I don't know because I'm not a vet.

Last edited:
As for grabbing cash, every vet I've ever used does the same. They make you feel like an asshole if you refuse to buy the absolute gold standard care for you pet, a lot of which is probably bs but I don't know because I'm not a vet.

Banfield seemed to do it to even more excess than most other vets. We've been lucky enough to find small local vets that don't play the pure profit game.

We were actually talking about this yesterday cause the dog has been acting funny. From our conversation yesterday PetSmart has good plans and will even come down in price for you. Erage said the opposite of the person I was talking to so maybe its an individual experience/store/person. I dont really have any hard facts for you but most people that we were talking to agreed we should take our dog to PetSmart. Maybe the one by us is "good" compared to others?

took the ferrets there once to get a pre-flight checkup

they called me a few months later while I was in the liquor store to give me a survey and I asked to lady to just write down "very satisfied" for all the answers

Before you get a pet insurance policy be sure to look into the exclusions. Some of the ones I've looked at simply weren't worth it because they excluded just about everything and really wasn't worth the cost.

We took Lu to one of those vets when we first got her and it was rushed, impersonal, overly priced and unsatisfying. Then I found a local vet who we just love... I had my brother take his cat there, she got a full workup, stool samples, all kinds of tests and two different types of medication for $77.

I just can't justify going back to the "mall vets" because I feel that they're more interested in generating money than taking an interest in the health of my animals.

OK, here's my opinion about Banfield. We took our dog there once, never again.

Their staff is competent and nice enough, but it is their policy to grab every dollar from you as they can. They will try to run every test they possibly can, some unnecessary as I later found out, and run up the bill all the while.

I don't know about the insurance they offer and what it covers, but be careful that it just isn't a trick to get you in the door so they can do a bunch of stuff that isn't covered...or beyond the alloted amount.

Also, how old is your pet? Is it generally healthy? If all you use the vet for is annual shots then insurance isn't worth it. If your pet is aging or likely to need random medical care then maybe.

Diego is 2 and is in good health. The reason that I figure that it may be a good deal is that I can take him in for an office visit during office hours as often as I want to bring him in. I'm a very anxious dog mom and took Diego in twice last year beyond his annual exams, totally over 100 bucks each visit.

i've only ever used them to get meds from. they price match internet prices which is awesome. i've been eying their plans for a while now but have never followed through. the main reason i've considered it is because my dog's teeth suck, and they include an annual cleaning (which requires general anesthetic).

See that caught my eye as well small dogs usually have teeth issues and I even brush his teeth and the back teeth are getting icky. And yes, I give him stuff to chew on but still icky icky.

Diego is 2 and is in good health. The reason that I figure that it may be a good deal is that I can take him in for an office visit during office hours as often as I want to bring him in. I'm a very anxious dog mom and took Diego in twice last year beyond his annual exams, totally over 100 bucks each visit.

omg what did they do that cost over $100????

Something about butt sechs . . . .

Weird, the only time my vet bill has been over $100 was when I had to take Lu and 2 of the cats in for their annual shots, poop tests, heartworm checks and all that... and I came away with 3 months of heartworm pills for each of them.

I took her to the vet when she had a weird growth on her foot, they did a biopsy, tests and gave meds, that was like $59

I took her again when she got into the garbage and ate an entire rack of rib bones and was throwing up bones and had a seizure, they did an exam and put her on all kinds of meds, that was right around $50 as well.

I know in the past I have dealt with vets who are very pricey and charge for all kinds of weird things, I guess the more I read the more I love my vet.

:heart: Dr. Roberts