Question for the gamers

smileynev said:
Oh my, that looks like too much work...

Actually, the more I hear about Directv dumping their Tivo boxes in favor of their own crap the more I am willing to try and hack it to do fancy stuff.
In about a year you won't have a choice. TiVo doesn't support MPEG4 and that's all DirecTV will be broadcasting.

theacoustician said:
In about a year you won't have a choice. TiVo doesn't support MPEG4 and that's all DirecTV will be broadcasting.
yeah I read that awhile ago in a Wired

not that I read Wired ... :shady:

theacoustician said:
169time.com

DirecTV boxes with active and unlocked firewire ports and 232 ports for control. Some people have even figure out control over firewire. You could even use a Mac at that point. Whoa.

fag

Edit : and what good is your "pure digital recording" if you're outputting it via analog video and you can't get said "pure digital recording" off the box to do anything with it?

I can watch it on my tv.

smileynev said:
I heard their useability is equivalent to a horse's ass.
You heard wrong. Its faster than DirecTivo and less of a pain. I have to use both daily and the only drawback to the Dish boxes we have is they're freaking enormous.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Too bad one of Dish's satellites is so low to the horizon that if you have any trees within 300 yards you're screwed.
If you didn't live in Canada, its not a problem.

Dish, until they picked up VOOM's exclusive channels, was always kinda the red-headed step child in my eyes. Now, they've got better boxes and more HD. Very impressive. I look forward to seeing Direct's response.

theacoustician said:
If you didn't live in Canada, its not a problem.

Dish, until they picked up VOOM's exclusive channels, was always kinda the red-headed step child in my eyes. Now, they've got better boxes and more HD. Very impressive. I look forward to seeing Direct's response.

Dish scares me. I'll stick with the big guys.

smileynev said:
Dish scares me. I'll stick with the big guys.
WTF are you talking about. Dish is hardly small. I didn't think of them as first in the industry till recently, but I never thought they were mom and pop.