Question about my goggie

If they develop anxiety and/or nervous habits like chewing on themselves and physical reason have been eliminated, then its likely they need actually be walked regularly to drain excess energy.

A big backyard is nothing more than a big cage.

sorry but i completely disagree! right now i have open land, but i did have a considerably large closed in backyard in phoenix and i ran my dogs till they were panting hard and they'd walk over to the glass door and lay down to be let back in, as they had enough. you think walking, maybe a mile all together (if that) with a dog restricted on a leash is the same as letting a dog run and chase freely in a large space till they are so pooped they want to go back inside???? sorry, but i disagree. my dogs get way more excercise when i play fetch with them in an open area than any walk. they are exerting far more energy. a lot of dogs enjoy a large but closed in area, they feel safe and they feel like that is there own private little territory. i thought when i moved here the dogs were going to go nuts over having open land, but really, they tend to stay close by the house as if there was a huge brick wall.

Last edited:
i don't take dogs for walks in the snow, but when summer strolls around i will. they like to sniff the pine trees and hope a rabbit will jump out.

it depends on the dog.

I have one dog who loves the snow and loves nothing more than to be taken out everyday (even when we had 2+ foot drifts) and just jump in them... then we have Lu, who refuses to set foot in the stuff, so we have problems even getting her to go potty outside in the snow.

It all depends on the dog.

My sister-in-law has a rotty who developed really bad infections in his toenails which would cause splitting, and bleeding and all this stuff.. so he had to eventually be declawed.

sorry but i completely disagree! right now i have open land, but i did have a considerably large closed in backyard in phoenix and i ran my dogs till they were panting hard and they'd walk over to the glass door and lay down to be let back in, as they had enough. you think walking, maybe a mile all together (if that) with a dog restricted on a leash is the same as letting a dog run and chase freely in a large space till they are so pooped they want to go back inside???? sorry, but i disagree. my dogs get way more excercise when i play fetch with them in an open area than any walk. they are exerting far more energy. a lot of dogs enjoy a large but closed in area, they feel safe and they feel like that is there own private little territory. i thought when i moved here the dogs were going to go nuts over having open land, but really, they tend to stay close by the house as if there was a huge brick wall.

Well, I don't have a dog, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express do watch and read a shitload of Cesar Milan. About 80% of his cases are people who simply aren't walking their dog enough. Its not just about getting a dog physically exhausted, but mentally as well. And remember, this is only for dogs that have problems (which shalimar's dog may have). If your dogs are fine, then they are fine...

it depends on the dog.

I have one dog who loves the snow and loves nothing more than to be taken out everyday (even when we had 2+ foot drifts) and just jump in them... then we have Lu, who refuses to set foot in the stuff, so we have problems even getting her to go potty outside in the snow.

It all depends on the dog.

My sister-in-law has a rotty who developed really bad infections in his toenails which would cause splitting, and bleeding and all this stuff.. so he had to eventually be declawed.

it's just kind of difficult around here to walk up and down the rural roads because it never fails i manage to fall on my ass trying to make my way through all this snow that nobody comes and plows. growing up in the desert pretty much all my life, i am still trying to get used to the snow out here and the roads and driveways get so incredibly icy that i slip just walking to my car, yet alone attempting to walk a dog. i think i am going to invest in a pair of ice skates.

Well, I don't have a dog, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express do watch and read a shitload of Cesar Milan. About 80% of his cases are people who simply aren't walking their dog enough. Its not just about getting a dog physically exhausted, but mentally as well. And remember, this is only for dogs that have problems (which shalimar's dog may have). If your dogs are fine, then they are fine...

many people have neglected dogs, who don't get walked or played with enough, leading to all sorts of anxiety as they are often stuck alone in a house while their owners go to work all day. i think it's a case by case situation, if you feel your dogs seem unhappy or nervous or they aren't sleeping through the night or they seem restless, then you need to take action and find a different approach. my dogs go right to bed at bedtime and show zero signs of nervousness or anxiety during the day, when i am gone they don't chew up anything or misbehave. i think it all depends on the breed and what is appropriate once you get to know your own dog's quirks. like one of my dogs doesn't even enjoy walking on the leash, he will just sit there and stare at me like (do i have to) and i have to nudge him, but my other does like it and attempts to take ME for the walk, lol.

my original reply about the exercise had no relation to shalimar's doggie, i was just speaking for those of us who don't regularly walk our dogs yet they get lots of exercise and are super happy content doggies. and besides, the rabbits and deer and squirrels out here seem to keep them pretty mentally occupied too! ;)

it's just kind of difficult around here to walk up and down the rural roads because it never fails i manage to fall on my ass trying to make my way through all this snow that nobody comes and plows. growing up in the desert pretty much all my life, i am still trying to get used to the snow out here and the roads and driveways get so incredibly icy that i slip just walking to my car, yet alone attempting to walk a dog. i think i am going to invest in a pair of ice skates.

Well I think you're in a situation which is a little different from the rest of us. I do believe most of the dog owners around here are suburbanites, so in that sense, it's unreasonable to expect suburban dogs and rural dogs to have the same needs.

I don't think anyone here can begrudge you personally for not walking your dogs as it sounds like they have quite a territory to roam. I think most of us who talk about the necessity of walking dogs refer to suburban dogs who do not have so much territory in which to roam. ;)

Well I think you're in a situation which is a little different from the rest of us. I do believe most of the dog owners around here are suburbanites, so in that sense, it's unreasonable to expect suburban dogs and rural dogs to have the same needs.

I don't think anyone here can begrudge you personally for not walking your dogs as it sounds like they have quite a territory to roam. I think most of us who talk about the necessity of walking dogs refer to suburban dogs who do not have so much territory in which to roam. ;)

agreed.

i was just trying to give the other side of the coin. no harm intended on my part!!

i had a big dog in an apartment when i was younger and if i didn't take her out for walks at least twice a day she drove me nuts!!!!!! you've got some dogs who want to explore and see other doggies (like at the dog park, i used to have so much fun going there) and others who don't even flinch when a rabbit walks right by their toes. those damn kooky dogs, you've really got to figure your own out.

agreed.

i was just trying to give the other side of the coin. no harm intended on my part!!

i had a big dog in an apartment when i was younger and if i didn't take her out for walks at least twice a day she drove me nuts!!!!!! you've got some dogs who want to explore and see other doggies (like at the dog park, i used to have so much fun going there) and others who don't even flinch when a rabbit walks right by their toes. those damn kooky dogs, you've really got to figure your own out.

Agreed ;)

soooooooooooooo, the vet said maybe a food allergy but prob not.

on some meds, but i think i mentioned that.

also trying to walk him more, which appears to have helped.

my gut instinct is that it's socio-emotional and not physiological. probably baby related like thorn said.

fuk. he's better about licking it. down to about 50% of waking hours. and at least he's not keeping us up at night licking it.

thanks to all for the wisdom. and whoever voted it closed can eat a big one. still.