Quake 4 sucks.

Sarcasmo

A Taste Of Honey Fluff Boy
Mar 28, 2005
Austin
Marklar
₥663
Yay, $49 down the shitter. Here I come, Ebay.

The graphics are fairly nice, but it's just another trigger-based first person shooter. In fact, that's the shittiest thing about it. I heard going into it that it was very "non-Doom 3", wherein you'd be walking down a hallway and as you pass a certain point you trigger a monster who jumps out at you, a system that's probably the worst thing to ever happen to video games.

Well Quake 4 is exactly like that. It's all hallways and locked doors, and you can't progress until you do something trivial to unlock the door you have to go through. Very directed, very systematic. You walk down a hallway, reach a certain point, a monster comes around the corner ahead of you, you shoot at each other, more monsters come, you shoot them too, you find the switch you have to hit (computer panels with touch-screens in this oh-so creative futuristic variation), and then you back track and proceed through the formerly locked door.

This is pretty much the entire game, with some classic "bosses" thrown in. In fact, it's pretty much Quake 2 with updated graphics. Which I guess is appropriate since the story takes place immediately after the events of Quake 2. But it's pretty gay. If you've ever played a computer game in your life (not counting Quake 2), you've played this one already. I really can't stress enough that it is not worth the money. Spend it on a dinner date instead. At leat you might get laid afterwards.

thats why 'try before you buy' is so good ;)

im a bit gutted about your verdict as i was looking forward to playing. i have Q4 ready to install but i've not bothered yet as i'm having so much fun with FEAR... it's a really good game if you've not played it already. ZOMG a computer game with actual real gameplay !! :eek:

I.C.Water said:
wait so it doesnt have multiplayer online?

It does. But there is nothing new whatsoever about the multiplayer mode. Honestly, how different could it be? If you really feel the need to attach the title of Quake to your multiplayer experience, then by all means pick it up. But it's just a title, and therefore it's just an average experience. Why get another when you probably already have one just like it?

With all due respect, thats why you shouldn't have bought it.

I stole Age of Empires, and can't WAIT to buy it. Totally an amazing game.

dunno only games i really like to play are fps online

Sarcasmo said:
It does. But there is nothing new whatsoever about the multiplayer mode. Honestly, how different could it be? If you really feel the need to attach the title of Quake to your multiplayer experience, then by all means pick it up. But it's just a title, and therefore it's just an average experience. Why get another when you probably already have one just like it?

isn't the multiplayer supposed to be the major selling point of this game? seriously, who plays a quake title for the single player part?

fly said:
With all due respect, thats why you shouldn't have bought it.

I stole Age of Empires, and can't WAIT to buy it. Totally an amazing game.

Hey I've got some questions about AOE III. I picked that one up as well. I like it, but I don't get why all of my people have like Prussian accents. Even when I play British. And their costumes are not British. I've only played for about 2 hours, so maybe I'm missing something. Just wondering why my Imperial Redcoats look more like Napoleon's troops.

And how do you make it so you can have more than 200 people, or build more than 15 houses? There are a lot of great things about this game, but some stupid things as well.

Sarcasmo said:
Hey I've got some questions about AOE III. I picked that one up as well. I like it, but I don't get why all of my people have like Prussian accents. Even when I play British. And their costumes are not British. I've only played for about 2 hours, so maybe I'm missing something. Just wondering why my Imperial Redcoats look more like Napoleon's troops.

And how do you make it so you can have more than 200 people, or build more than 15 houses? There are a lot of great things about this game, but some stupid things as well.
Couldn't tell ya about the accents. I was the Ottoman Empire and they don't speak English at all. Ape is German and the closest they get to English is saying something that resembes "Elf Cock?"

Afaik, 200 is the max. There is a technology at the Capitol that you can research that will take you above 200 (I think). I had not noticed the 15 house limit either. You sure on that?

Finally, I had not noticed the costumes at all. Did you notice the window treatments on the forts too? :elfpenis:

fly said:
Couldn't tell ya about the accents. I was the Ottoman Empire and they don't speak English at all. Ape is German and the closest they get to English is saying something that resembes "Elf Cock?"

Afaik, 200 is the max. There is a technology at the Capitol that you can research that will take you above 200 (I think). I had not noticed the 15 house limit either. You sure on that?

Finally, I had not noticed the costumes at all. Did you notice the window treatments on the forts too? :elfpenis:

I'm a history buff, and when the computer says it's generating 20 redcoats for me and then gives me French grenadiers I fucking notice. :fly:

I don't know if 15 is the limit on houses, it may be 20 since the pop. limit is 200 and it's 10 people per house. But I built a bunch of houses last night and then couldn't build anymore. The house icon turned red and it said I had reached my limit for that structure. Fuckers.

Sarcasmo said:
I'm a history buff, and when the computer says it's generating 20 redcoats for me and then gives me French grenadiers I fucking notice. :fly:

I don't know if 15 is the limit on houses, it may be 20 since the pop. limit is 200 and it's 10 people per house. But I built a bunch of houses last night and then couldn't build anymore. The house icon turned red and it said I had reached my limit for that structure. Fuckers.
Yeah, do the research @ the capitol. I'm pretty sure you can increase the pop by 100 (it may only be a British thing tho)

Q4 is not as bad as Doom 3 was. I am "eval"ing now - my birthday is coming up and the wife won't let me buy any computer stuff for about a month before it so she can have something to get me. If I like it, she'll buy it for me.

Q4 is very trigger driven, yes - but so was Q2 and this is the follow-up, so one would expect that. HL2 does triggers better, but this is the id D3 engine.

One thing that really does piss me off though:
Quake 4 on multiple CD's - cost: 49.99
Quake 4 on 1 DVD - cost: 59.99 (plus all the old Quake games and addons - so what)

It has to cost less to press ONE DVD instead of multiple CDs, and who wants to keep swapping CDs? It is a cheap way of getting more money out of game buyers and I think it sucks.

SpyderGST said:
Q4 is not as bad as Doom 3 was. I am "eval"ing now - my birthday is coming up and the wife won't let me buy any computer stuff for about a month before it so she can have something to get me. If I like it, she'll buy it for me.

Q4 is very trigger driven, yes - but so was Q2 and this is the follow-up, so one would expect that. HL2 does triggers better, but this is the id D3 engine.

One thing that really does piss me off though:
Quake 4 on multiple CD's - cost: 49.99
Quake 4 on 1 DVD - cost: 59.99 (plus all the old Quake games and addons - so what)

It has to cost less to press ONE DVD instead of multiple CDs, and who wants to keep swapping CDs? It is a cheap way of getting more money out of game buyers and I think it sucks.

I was going to bring that up but completely forgot. I saw the price of the DVD and was just flat out pissed off. What is that, a $10 convenience tax? Blow me. Faggots.

I popped Quake 2 in the other night for shits, and there are a lot of places where there are enemies just walking down hallways and whatnot. You can actually see them on patrol, marching around. It's up to you to kill them or not. The point is, you can plan stuff, sneak up on them, etc. In Q4 99% of them jump out suddenly as you pass a certain point. God that's gay. I can't stand it. Horrible game design, with no strategy involved.

The only thing worse in my opinion are the points where you HAVE to kill every last stupid monster that jumps out at you in order to get the locked door at the other side of the room to open. The first one is bad enough, but then you throw this aspect into the mix and it's like getting skull-fucked with stupidity.