Qs about Multiple Networking Devices in XP

Fat Burger said:
Now you're just copying my posts :p

yeah...well...maybe...kinda....paraphrasing...

But no you can't set windows to use this nic for this program. Nor can you set windows to use this nic for this port activity. :( Sure wish you (and I ) could...this was the only solution i could come up with and it worked real well for me.

Fat Burger said:
We do that on our website, too. Our webservers have two NICs, and we needed to make sure the traffic was routed properly. Pain in the ass.

Yeah, but once it works...mmmm mmmmm that feels good.... :D

SpangeMonkee said:
Is there a way to make windows automatically load balance?
Install Windows Server 2003...it does it... i saw it today setting up a server for a client.

Fat Burger said:
What? Are you talking about clustering, or what? There's no version of Windows that can load balance network connections.

EDIT:
Even ISA can't do that.

ummm...no it does...i could have clicked the check mark when i was setting up the post setup steps on the server I setup Friday for a client. But he only has 1 internet connection.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/overview/family.mspx

then go down to Availability and read the almost last line.
Windows Server 2003 also supports network load balancing (NLB), which balances incoming Internet Protocol (IP) traffic across nodes in a cluster.

heh...yeah i know what a cluster is, i just didn't think enough to realize that the load balancing in server 2003 was the opposite of what i thought it was. to load balance the usage of the servers, not the internet connection. :(

so...no...i guess 2003 can't load balance 2 internet connections...so...back to suggesting linux for that task! :D

:heart: my secure network.

funnily enough, i was at the park the other day, and there were 10 open wireless points. one of them we figured out to be the police station next door.

we were stealing the intarweb from the po po!

sizzlinggrace said:
:heart: my secure network.

funnily enough, i was at the park the other day, and there were 10 open wireless points. one of them we figured out to be the police station next door.

we were stealing the intarweb from the po po!

BAAAHAHAAHAA!! That's awesome!! My buddy and I like to scan while we drive and most of the police/fire/municipal networks are CLEARLY LABELED and wide open!! It's freakin scary that those who are to be protecting us, can't protect them selves!

SchmilK said:
BAAAHAHAAHAA!! That's awesome!! My buddy and I like to scan while we drive and most of the police/fire/municipal networks are CLEARLY LABELED and wide open!! It's freakin scary that those who are to be protecting us, can't protect them selves!

Or it's nice to know that our tax money is providing an extra service :cool: