Put on your tinfoil hats, folks

itburnswhenipee

Lonestar
May 25, 2005
Maryland
Marklar
₥797
There seems to be an increasing number of news stories about desertion from the armed services. Is this a deliberate attempt to dissuade people from considering desertion? Is it to put the fear of disobeying into people so they'll be more compliant if a draft in instated?

links to a few stories:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-03-07-deserters_x.htm
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-03-07-deserter-side_x.htm
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060313.wxbcdraft0313/BNStory/National/home

SpangeMonkee said:
I don't get why someone would join the military and then just quit. wtf did they think their job was or could be?

Yeah, I have the same mixed feelings about my restaurant job. I mean, I took the job willingly, yet four years later I just up and left. WTF?

SpangeMonkee said:
I don't get why someone would join the military and then just quit. wtf did they think their job was or could be?

People weren't expecting to be signing up to go fight a war over oil. Or, worse, they weren't expecting to go over and fight in a country where even the people we are supposedly fighting for don't seem to want us there.

Do I really need to keep listing the reasons?

a draft would be suicide to the party in charge. If there was a draft now, the democratic party wouldn't have any problems winning every election for the next 12 years.

Working closely with reservists, the biggest complaint that I hear is that they were not expecting to give up their lives a year at a time to fight in a war. If they wanted to do that, they would have joined the active army.

One of the guys that I work with is a reservist. He was sent to Iraq for a year. Sent back to the states for about 3 months and is now serving in Afghanistan for at least a year....maybe longer.

Another guy (reservist) was a lawyer with his own practice. He has been on active duty for almost two years now. He finally had to close his practice because it looks like he is stuck for an undetermined amount of time.

the second story was in bubbles/shawn's/candy's town, tarpon springs

and they should LET people who wish to leave do so

and didn't carter or reagan pardon the vietnam era draft dodgers??? shouldn't the same courtesy be extended to those who deserted as well? seem like splitting hairs that one was pardoned while the other remains a crime

why_ask_why said:
and didn't carter or reagan pardon the vietnam era draft dodgers??? shouldn't the same courtesy be extended to those who deserted as well? seem like splitting hairs that one was pardoned while the other remains a crime

Theyre just fucking these guys over and ruining their lives just to make an example of them. Fucking pathetic if you aske me.

Drool-Boy said:
Theyre just fucking these guys over and ruining their lives just to make an example of them. Fucking pathetic if you aske me.

Yeah, that's what it sounds like to me as well.

Oh yeah, the marines are so goddamned badass that they can rob an old man of his false teeth. Semper Fi, motherfuckers.

Deserters are worse than Draft Dodgers. Deserters make an oath to serve for their Country, Draft Dodgers just run to avoid the oath.

If they did a draft most of us on here wouldn't meet the draft requirements. So that means we can still hang out all day but now there would be more younger lonely women available.

BadMojo said:
Working closely with reservists, the biggest complaint that I hear is that they were not expecting to give up their lives a year at a time to fight in a war. If they wanted to do that, they would have joined the active army.

One of the guys that I work with is a reservist. He was sent to Iraq for a year. Sent back to the states for about 3 months and is now serving in Afghanistan for at least a year....maybe longer.

Another guy (reservist) was a lawyer with his own practice. He has been on active duty for almost two years now. He finally had to close his practice because it looks like he is stuck for an undetermined amount of time.

Yeah I can completely understand that. Obviously our military is not big enough, or orgainzed enough to handle the demand we have placed on it. I imagine the reserves will see a large decline in enlistment after the way our government has treated them. :(

b_sinning said:
Deserters are worse than Draft Dodgers. Deserters make an oath to serve for their Country, Draft Dodgers just run to avoid the oath.

If they did a draft most of us on here wouldn't meet the draft requirements. So that means we can still hang out all day but now there would be more younger lonely women available.

all rook same

neither is any better or worse imo and if one was pardoned the other should be too

Pandora said:
Yeah I can completely understand that. Obviously our military is not big enough, or orgainzed enough to handle the demand we have placed on it. I imagine the reserves will see a large decline in enlistment after the way our government has treated them. :(
They already have. Oops for the administration treating everyone and every nation like a tool to use. Whoops!