PSA: To those of you with pets

Pandora

Flaccid Member
Oct 19, 2004
Atlanta GA!
skewed.textamerica.com
Marklar
₥0
Diamond pet food has issued a recall on 19 varieties their food. Apparently it is causing liver failure in animals due to some type of fungus that grew on the corn used to make it. So if you feed you're pets Diamond brand food please make sure your bag isn't one that is recalled!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/09/toxic.pet.food.ap/index.html

From Diamonds website

What products are being recalled?

Recalled products can be identified by the Date Code and "Best By" dates listed on the back panel of the package. Recalled products will have a capital "G" (in reference to Gaston) in the 11th or 12th position of the date code (18 lb. to 55 lb. bags), and "Best By" dates between March 1, 2007 and June 10, 2007. The capital "G" will be in the 9th position on smaller 4 lb. to 8 lb. bags.

Diamond's quantitative analysis records substantiate that shipments were definitively clear of aflatoxin after December 10. As such, "Best By 11-June-07" date codes or later are not affected. Also, products with "Best By" dates prior to 28-Feb-07 are safe.

Products manufactured at our Gaston S.C. facility included in the recall:

Diamond Premium Adult Dog Food
Diamond Hi-Energy Dog Food
Diamond Maintenance Dog Food
Diamond Professional for Adult Dogs
Diamond Performance Dog Food
Diamond Puppy Food
Diamond Low Fat Dog Food
Diamond Maintenance Cat Food
Diamond Professional Cat Food
Country Value Puppy
Country Value Adult Dog Food
Country Value High Energy Dog Food
Country Value Adult Cat Food
Professional Chicken & Rice Adult Dog Food
Professional Puppy Food
Professional Large-Breed Puppy Food
Professional Reduced Fat Cat Food
Professional Adult Cat Food

Hopefully none of you use this brand! We feed our cats Science Diet and our dogs eat Natural Balance. What brands do you all buy for your pets? Do you think certain brands really make a difference?

I've had my cats on Iams for years. I may be looking to switch though as I don't know if Iam's nutritional values are as good as they once were.

Gotta wonder about feeding a cat a dry food whose first ingredient is corn, there just seems something fundamentally wrong with that.

Drool-Boy said:
We feed our mangey gatos Purina ONE.
It gets the stamp of approval from our vet, too.

Yeah I've heard that's a good one too, tho my vet recommends Science Diet. I don't know if there's really that much of a difference between the premium brands. I've heard that some of the cheaper catfoods make cats more prone to UTIs tho.

Pandora said:
Yeah I've heard that's a good one too, tho my vet recommends Science Diet. I don't know if there's really that much of a difference between the premium brands. I've heard that some of the cheaper catfoods make cats more prone to UTIs tho.
Yes. Need a catfood with proper pH. Good kitty litter is also important, I found this all out the hard way.

I've had my kitty on Purina Indoor Cat forumla basically since I've had her. My Vet recomments Life's Choice or Purina formulas, so I got with what works. I think Diamond could be a cheapo kind of pet food, I've never heard of it through owning and caring for animals.

theacoustician said:
He's not telling the truth.

I really am. She was 20 and her kidneys failed. It was a good death. I floated her out onto the lake on a longboat and set her on fire.

Sarcasmo said:
I really am. She was 20 and her kidneys failed. It was a good death. I floated her out onto the lake on a longboat and set her on fire.
Bubbles said:
I think he is. I remember him saying his cat was getting on in years and whatnot.
I've got a bridge to sell you

Sarcasmo said:
I want to be burned in the open like that, old style. I told Flynavy about that the other day and that fucker wants to roast marshmallows on my funeral pyre. Leave it to him to con me into making him one last meal :fly:

zengirl said:
I want to be burned in the open like that, old style. I told Flynavy about that the other day and that fucker wants to roast marshmallows on my funeral pyre. Leave it to him to con me into making him one last meal :fly:

Where the hell do you think you are, lady? This isn't India. There's laws against that shit in the US. It's like a combination public health / anti-cannibalism thing.

itburnswhenipee said:
Where the hell do you think you are, lady? This isn't India. There's laws against that shit in the US. It's like a combination public health / anti-cannibalism thing.
That and her liver is probably highly flammable.