PS3 on Ebay

Moogle

Flaccid Member
Nov 21, 2006
Marklar
₥0
Someone pointed out to me today that all the PS3s on Ebay are going for under $1000. I saw one earlier today at $550 for the 20 gigger. There's one up at the moment at $560 for the 60 gig with 6 bids. :eek:

$1200 (iirc) doesn't seem so bad now, huh?

Does anyone know someone who has actually played it, outside a store kiosk?

No, it won't.

And why do you think it won't? I'm not saying the prices is warranted, but pretty much EVERYTHING surges on ebay closer to the holidays. I see no reason to think this is any different.

Also, I wanted to post this yesterday, but held off till today. Yesterday's pvponline was very very appropriate for the guys around here. :)

2944.gif

When theres piles and piles of 360s in all the stores, and Wiis coming in all the time, I bet those ebayers will be lucky to get what they paid for their ps3s

That is like saying when there are piles and piles of competing laughing dolls out there, the people that hoarded the Tickle Me Elmos will be lucky to get what they paid for them. Remember, when talking about the holiday season, we are not talking about rational consumers.

And why do you think it won't? I'm not saying the prices is warranted, but pretty much EVERYTHING surges on ebay closer to the holidays. I see no reason to think this is any different.

Also, I wanted to post this yesterday, but held off till today. Yesterday's pvponline was very very appropriate for the guys around here. :)

2944.gif

Because most people who will pay any price to make their kid happy has done so already. There may be a light surge after say, Dec 15 or so but I doubt it will go higher than 1200 dollars. Besides after the 21st its a lost cause to get it by the 25 in most cases.

Because most people who will pay any price to make their kid happy has done so already. There may be a light surge after say, Dec 15 or so but I doubt it will go higher than 1200 dollars. Besides after the 21st its a lost cause to get it by the 25 in most cases.

I trust we don't have grammar police around here? :)

I didn't mean to imply that that there will be a strong surge of prices. Just that I wouldn't be surprised if people can still make a decent penny for a few weeks. Even after Christmas I think people will still be making money. Just not as much as they had hoped. Way too many people were trying to repeat the PS2 and 360 glory days of ebay. :)

I think only Sony's hardcore would pay that price. Most of them that have the money and the desire now have a unit. Parents shopping for kids are going to choke when they see the price plus games, etc. When we were waiting in line to get Spange his Wii this past weekend, the parents in line were drilling us about games because they wanted to make the right purchase "considering how expensive it is". If a retail Wii + games are expensive to the average parent, then a PS3 on eBay is completely out of their league.

They (the parents in line for a Wii) were also oddly aware of game ratings. I didn't think most parents even paid attention. They seemed to be more interested in the Wii over the PS3 because there were "less bad (ESRB rating) games to worry about" and that there was some physical aspect to the system is something they liked. Anything for exercise I guess.

You may see a minor spike right AFTER Christmas. I think there will be the Sony fans that didn't have the money to purchase a PS3 taking their combined holiday gift money and purchasing one, but that's it.

I think only Sony's hardcore would pay that price. Most of them that have the money and the desire now have a unit. Parents shopping for kids are going to choke when they see the price plus games, etc. When we were waiting in line to get Spange his Wii this past weekend, the parents in line were drilling us about games because they wanted to make the right purchase "considering how expensive it is". If a retail Wii + games are expensive to the average parent, then a PS3 on eBay is completely out of their league.

Again, I think you are over estimating how many are on ebay and just how rational a percentage of people will be.

They (the parents in line for a Wii) were also oddly aware of game ratings. I didn't think most parents even paid attention. They seemed to be more interested in the Wii over the PS3 because there were "less bad (ESRB rating) games to worry about" and that there was some physical aspect to the system is something they liked. Anything for exercise I guess.

Why does this surprise you? It is probably just that you aren't recognizing this for what the rest of the industry calls it, and that is the "kiddy" nature of Nintendo products. With both Sony and MS marketing the system to the buyers our ages, Nintendo is sticking with the gold mine that is the kid's market.

You may see a minor spike right AFTER Christmas. I think there will be the Sony fans that didn't have the money to purchase a PS3 taking their combined holiday gift money and purchasing one, but that's it.

I guess I should be clear. I don't see there being a spike to the 2k+ range, but I wouldn't be surprised if within the next few weeks you see a spike to the 800 to 900 range accross the board.

And did nobody like the comic? :)

And did nobody like the comic? :)
I liked it :)

I still don't think the spike will come till after Christmas though, especially using your own logic. If the PS3 is "marketed to people our age", then most of those people have their money tied up in holiday travel and gifts for others.
Kids can't buy it themselves. Parents aren't going to buy it for kids (for the most part). When finances free up after the holidays and if supply is still short, then I think you will see prices spike up some again.