Protection needed: a rubber won't cut it this time

ERage said:
Which of these do you guys like best given the above situation and why? I really only need to protect the 1 machine and it gets pretty low traffic in general.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7&Submit=ENE&Manufactory=1467&SubCategory=529

and on a side note, I really appreciate all the help and opinions in this thread. You guys rock :D
The 506E out of those ones. The 501 series is more for small/remote office. I would recommend you go to he 515 series if your site is big enough, and get a third interface to be used as a DMZ for any externally accessed machines. I run about 20 PIX firewalls, and they're pretty solid, but the logging sucks (syslog). Most Telco companies are Cisco resellers, you can get a pretty good deal if you get multiple quotes, and tell them all you're doing so.

tre said:
The 506E out of those ones. The 501 series is more for small/remote office. I would recommend you go to he 515 series if your site is big enough, and get a third interface to be used as a DMZ for any externally accessed machines. I run about 20 PIX firewalls, and they're pretty solid, but the logging sucks (syslog). Most Telco companies are Cisco resellers, you can get a pretty good deal if you get multiple quotes, and tell them all you're doing so.

honestly, the number of machines under this would be firewall is minimal. I may not get one after all because yesterday I and some friends did some pretty heavy scanning for security holes in the machine and it seems pretty solid under it's current build. Maybe the campus cranked up their firewall again? Who knows, but I'll keep my eyes on it in the mean time.