Ontopic Proposition 19

This is just for the state, right? So technically Californians would have to grow their own because wouldn't the DEA shut down outside trade of the crop from other states that do not abide?
they'll still try to bust people but california already grows a majority of their own ganj. the federal government's authority to continue prosecuting stems from the argument that even though it's a black market, growing your own weed interferes with pot that may have been purchased from out of state, hence affecting interstate commerce
the aclu will be licking their chops for that case
:happy:
Wouldn't it just work the same as alcohol works? Don't show up for work drunk or high and you are good. I guess federal jobs are different, but just because something is legal doesn't mean you have to do it. We still make choices.
I can't wait to hear about all my idiot friends at camp pendleton who get snagged for tokin in the barracks and try to argue their way out of it :waw: :lol:

Cali's passing this law will be, and only can be, a stepping stone at this point for what eventually should happen. You won't see any major changes in federal law or even in California law if it passes, but you will see lots of press. it'll be the jumping off points for a number of other states (I can see everyplace west of the mississippi river work to pass their own prop 19 bill within the next 6 years) to do the same. Once you have a large percentage of the states pushing this, then you will finally see the gov't be pressured to relent. But not until then. There is still a long way to go.

Assuming it passes. If it fails, in California, it'll set back the legalization effort by at least 5 years.

I don't worry about it. I have a buddy in CO who's licensed to grow medical, and somehow it magically appears out here in Florida. Weird, I know.

Cali's passing this law will be, and only can be, a stepping stone at this point for what eventually should happen. You won't see any major changes in federal law or even in California law if it passes, but you will see lots of press. it'll be the jumping off points for a number of other states (I can see everyplace west of the mississippi river work to pass their own prop 19 bill within the next 6 years) to do the same. Once you have a large percentage of the states pushing this, then you will finally see the gov't be pressured to relent. But not until then. There is still a long way to go.

Assuming it passes. If it fails, in California, it'll set back the legalization effort by at least 5 years.

I don't worry about it. I have a buddy in CO who's licensed to grow medical, and somehow it magically appears out here in Florida. Weird, I know.

when I was in beaver creek last xmas our guide told us that the local DHL or airborn express shipping facility had been turned into a grow factory.

I guess it really depends on the type of work you are in. Of course anyone who has any sort of government job doesn't matter if it's local, state, or fed you will not be able to partake. Any company who spans state lines will not allow it. Even my company now doesn't recognize the use of medical. If you fail a test you are gone.

Companies have laid off regular smokers if they have well defined in their handbook that they don't employ smokers.

they band smoking here for employees for a minute in the 90's. aclu stepped in I believe. I don't think it's legal to discriminate against cig smokers.

they band smoking here for employees for a minute in the 90's. aclu stepped in I believe. I don't think it's legal to discriminate against cig smokers.

I know a ton of company's that do not allow smoking at work or at home. Most of them went to a non smoking policy and offered quit classes to the employees and gave a solid date that you had to be stopped or you would be let go.

I know a ton of company's that do not allow smoking at work or at home. Most of them went to a non smoking policy and offered quit classes to the employees and gave a solid date that you had to be stopped or you would be let go.

really? that's bizarre. I didn't think that would be even remotely legal. what's next? ban employees from eating cereal? seems overly harsh and arbitrary.

• Gravy
Reactions: 1 person
This is just for the state, right? So technically Californians would have to grow their own because wouldn't the DEA shut down outside trade of the crop from other states that do not abide?

The DEA can still arrest those in possession of marijuana in California. Though the DEA has very limited resources so they would have next to no effect on the supply without the state and local authorities help.

really? that's bizarre. I didn't think that would be even remotely legal. what's next? ban employees from eating cereal? seems overly harsh and arbitrary.

If cereal had the fatality rate and history of raising everyone's insurance cost then they could be. Plus statistically smokers tend to take more days off and take more breaks through out the workday. I don't agree with it but I can see the reasoning. If you had a known history of huffing gasoline they'd probably fire you too.

You choose to work somewhere if you don't like their rules you can go find other work. Short of real discrimination they can do what they want. Hell I even saw in Mass they are trying to pass where you can't smoke in public housing.

If cereal had the fatality rate and history of raising everyone's insurance cost then they could be. Plus statistically smokers tend to take more days off and take more breaks through out the workday. I don't agree with it but I can see the reasoning. If you had a known history of huffing gasoline they'd probably fire you too.

Bacon eaters are next.

it's still invasive of one's private life which I find highly sketchy. why stop there? ban alcohol for its bad effects and don't hire gays because they might get aids.

it's still invasive of one's private life which I find highly sketchy. why stop there? ban alcohol for its bad effects and don't hire gays because they might get aids.

the difference that you can drink in moderation and be gay without any negative health effects

there is never a time when a cigarette isn't resulting in negative health effects.

the difference that you can drink in moderation and be gay without any negative health effects

there is never a time when a cigarette isn't resulting in negative health effects.

my grandfather smoked a pipe for about 75 years with no ill effects. not everyone who smokes gets cancer. far from it.

If you are in a role that you are with customers then 100% right they have that choice because you stink. It's no different than firing someone because they have poor hygiene. You tell them to fix it and if they don't you get rid of them.

I can understand no smoking during work hours, but to push a policy of no smoking at all is too far reaching.