Project SFS: Save F33nX's Sanity

Mrs. Valve

Dizzy Broad
Oct 6, 2004
The QFH
Marklar
₥3,849
So once upon a time I promised myself that I'd buy the Lego Star Destroyer kit when I saved up enough change, and that day came this August. This is how far I've gotten in the past couple of months. I needed a sanity evening, so this is how it went:

why, hi2u mistar SD
picture.php

4 individual boxes, plus a 225 page manual
picture.php

when all of the boxes were opened, over 3100 pieces revealed themselves
picture.php

including these. wtf are these?
picture.php

might as well start putting them together. my original plan was to work on this 25 pages at a time, to spread out the enjoyment over a good stretch of time. a typical page:
picture.php

and a typical branch of the framework
picture.php

this is the first decent scale picture, gives a sense of how freaking ginormous this thing is going to be
picture.php

skeleton 1 complete:
picture.php

remember the wierd dealies? they're magnets
picture.php

how did the Grail find its way onto the Star Destroyer?
picture.php

idk, ask 100 of its cousins
picture.php

when these are put together, they form the embellishments of the hull. there are 16 sections of detail per frame
picture.php

so the previous pics took about 5 hours, and 25 pages. page 26? make its twin
picture.php

and with 10 of these little inocuous brace thingies
picture.php

we get the serious middle section of the hull.
picture.php

pages 27-225 to follow :p

I'd love to do something of that size but my son would try to help me by moving the parts all around, losing some of them, and asking questions nonstop and I'd be crazy by the time I finished.

I'd love to do something of that size but my son would try to help me by moving the parts all around, losing some of them, and asking questions nonstop and I'd be crazy by the time I finished.

there's a reason why it's 16+ age recommended. it's incredibly fragile right now, and i can only pick it up in like 1 place without the detailed pieces falling off. plus there's a fair bit of manipulation to the hull to get the proper curve- there are hinge pieces but there's also a fair bit of coaxing and swearing involved. plus animals? pfft, forget it. half the time tonight was spent trying to keep my cat away from the damn pieces :p

i'd get the death star, but i'd be worried about someone with $5 worth of ewoks ruining my $200 investment.

I used to build the Lego designs merely by looking at the picture on the box, but I think I'd have to read the manual on this one. I haven't seen one of these large designs in person. Must be cool. Will you have any fingernails left? :lol: I always used to break mine off if I got a brick in the wrong place, then trying to separate the bricks.