Professional email etiquette

gottoys? said:
If I work on something that has other people cc'd in the email (or I'm the cc and know no one else got to it yet) I 'reply all'.

I save every email I get - as evidence and documentation. I am such a geek I some times email myself something that I need to remember or code scripts.

I file all my emails into specific folders and can't stand unread mail. Obviously I have my emails saved off the mail server.

I am a pure text kinda girl and don't like getting those colorful busy emails like that pink one shown about - yuck. Any thing to speed performance of the pc up works for me. My background on my PC is black and no screen saver.

Gosh you are like me when it comes to emails. I hate all the frills and stuff... also save everything important into folders. rock on

Ryokurin said:
I wont answer an instant message or an email when you can ask me in person. Most of the time these people are within 50 feet of me, and its not going to hurt them to get up and talk to me. Its quicker.

Oh gawd, you are one of THOSE kinds of people.

what? someone who uses my voice instead of type? Im tired of being impersonal. Its different if its something that can wait, but stuff like "did you just talk to XX" when you are less than 10 feet away from me? just pick up your voice and ask.

Ryokurin said:
what? someone who uses my voice instead of type? Im tired of being impersonal. Its different if its something that can wait, but stuff like "did you just talk to XX" when you are less than 10 feet away from me? just pick up your voice and ask.
OK something simple like that - yes a call or in person would do.

Most of what I do is information so I need emails for doc.

I functional user called me today (new intern - daddy is a big wig in France headquarters). Started talking about pulling a LIVE software module out of production so he can 'play' with it in the bug fix environment. I told him I wanted every thing he intended to do written and emailed to me. He was making crazy suggestions on a high profile software module. He actually said he didn't feel comfortable emailing his requirements and would rather talk on the phone about it (no evidence). I had to tell him no way - I need written documentation.

The entire team had a meeting a few hours later and blew his requirement out of the water.

Ryokurin said:

That's so 60s.