Professional email etiquette

Pandora

Flaccid Member
Oct 19, 2004
Atlanta GA!
skewed.textamerica.com
Marklar
₥0
As helpful as technology is, sometimes it can be a big pain in the donkey. Take emails for example, they help us communicate information to our coworkers and business partners. But do they make it too easy? Many of you are cursed with inboxes FULL of emails, most of which you don't really need. I usually run into a problem where multiple people receive the email and they all work on it, unnecessarily duplicating work. For instance I receive an email while away on vacation that requests I post a payment to a customers account. Several other people were CC'd on this email. It turns out one of the persons CC'd went ahead and completed the task, and didn't let anyone else know this. So when I return from vacation I see the email and post the payment as well. What a waste of time! :mad:

When you are cc'd on something do you follow up on it, or do you assume the person who the email is actually addressed to will do it? How important is follow up to you? Do you respond to every email that you complete? Or do you just complete the task and delete the email?

I only complete the task or follow up if Im first in the "to" field. Otherwise I just consider that Im being iformed as a courtesy.

The thing that bothers me the most about email is people that dont know the difference between the "reply" and "reply to all" buttons.

Depends on what it is. And why I was cc'd. :)

In general, though, I would have at least informed everyone that I completed the task.

Drool-Boy said:
I only complete the task or follow up if Im first in the "to" field. Otherwise I just consider that Im being iformed as a courtesy.

The thing that bothers me the most about email is people that dont know the difference between the "reply" and "reply to all" buttons.

So when do you usually reply? Or reply to all? I usually just reply, but apparently some people think that I should be replying to all?!

I ignore most, if not all, of my emails. people have learned this and realized that it takes a trip to my desk. This seems to make them reevaluate how important this information is. I also don't answer my phone.

We just taught Esther how to use email last week... Needless to say we don't have this problem in our office. Everything is done via phone and fax.

i don't get assignments by email. i get them face to face from my bosses. most of my email correspondence through work consists of mailing lists from various departments that i interact with, but there is nothing that i receive that is only stated through email.

fly said:
I ignore most, if not all, of my emails. people have learned this and realized that it takes a trip to my desk. This seems to make them reevaluate how important this information is. I also don't answer my phone.

This is a lie. I have emailed you several times and received prompt responses.

fly said:

Yeah I stopped answering my phone awhile ago. People never have their crap together when they call and I don't have time to sit around and wait on the phone for them to do so.

I like to sign most of my emails with..

............./´¯/)
.........../.../ /
........./..../ /
.../´¯/'...'/´¯¯.`·¸
/'/.../..../.....:^.¨¯\
('(...´...´.... ¯_/'...'/
\.................'...../
..\'...\.......... _.·´
...\..............(

Typing in all caps. WTF is that all about? Theres a new person here that does it constantly. A typical email will be like:

"PATRICK,

JUST LETTING YOU KNOW PART "A" IS DONE IN METALFINISHING AND CAN BE PICKED UP AT ANYTIME. PART "B" IS IN THE QUE AND SHOULD BE DONE BY THURSDAY THIS WEEK. THANKS!"

:wtf:
Im gonna go over there with a screw driver and pry the capslock key offa that keyboard.

KNYTE said:
I like to sign most of my emails with..

............./´¯/)
.........../.../ /
........./..../ /
.../´¯/'...'/´¯¯.`·¸
/'/.../..../.....:^.¨¯\
('(...´...´.... ¯_/'...'/
\.................'...../
..\'...\.......... _.·´
...\..............(

Im gonna start putting this in my email sigs:

ME 8====D (_o_) YOU

Drool-Boy said:
Typing in all caps. WTF is that all about? Theres a new person here that does it constantly. A typical email will be like:

"PATRICK,

JUST LETTING YOU KNOW PART "A" IS DONE IN METALFINISHING AND CAN BE PICKED UP AT ANYTIME. PART "B" IS IN THE QUE AND SHOULD BE DONE BY THURSDAY THIS WEEK. THANKS!"

:wtf:
Im gonna go over there with a screw driver and pry the capslock key offa that keyboard.

so he doesn't have to bother with the shift button at the beginning of sentences. kind of like why i never have capitals at all in my posts. :fly:

Drool-Boy said:
Im gonna start putting this in my email sigs:

ME 8====D (_o_) YOU

When I make an ascii asshole i like to use the alt+9999 character...makes for a better hole. (_☼_)

Thorn Bird said:
so he doesn't have to bother with the shift button at the beginning of sentences. kind of like why i never have capitals at all in my posts. :fly:
Actually, his excuse is he probably is using a program like AutoCAD where it is standard to write in all caps. It helps keep people from confusing "l" and "1" and stuff like that.

ERage said:
When I make an ascii asshole i like to use the alt+9999 character...makes for a better hole. (_☼_)
If you can demonstrate a real life square asshole, you will become a folk hero around these parts.

theacoustician said:
Actually, his excuse is he probably is using a program like AutoCAD where it is standard to write in all caps. It helps keep people from confusing "l" and "1" and stuff like that.

well, that makes sense, too.

theacoustician said:

That would make sense if the individual in question were more than just a glorified secretary.