Problems in tha Hood

ERage

Giant Member
Nov 7, 2005
Marklar
₥10
OK, so forgive me if this sounds a little bloggish but it has just recently gotten to the point that I'm starting to get worried. Here's the story:

I've been living in the same neighborhood for about 3 years now. Pretty decent place, nobody is overly friendly but nobody is mean either. Most people just keep to themselves. All in all a quiet place.

Just recently (3-4 weeks ago) a house across the street and down a lot from my own went up for rent. It got rented out, no big deal. Well it turns out that a waterproofing company rented the house and is putting employees in it...like 10 employees in a 3 bedroom house.

This in itself doesn't bother me but the fact that these aren't exactly the most upstanding citizens causes me a little concern. I am not basing this on looks alone, I've had the not so pleasurable experience of talking to a couple of these guys. Every other word is slang/swearing. They ALL had at least one jail tat. They made lewd comments about my wife.

If that isn't bad enough, the part that has really gotten me worried is that today I went home for lunch and was walking the dog, one of them walked over and asked, "Would that dog bite someone if they broke in your house."

Seriously, wtf. So now I have to worry about these assholes breaking into my house when i'm not home. What about if blondie has to be home alone for a while when I travel? This sucks. Of course I said the dog might bite a stranger and she was acting appropriately crazy so I think he believed it. (he did not come over to pet her)

I don't know how long they are supposed to be living there and I don't know what the company is that they work for or who actually is the landlord and how to contact them. Any ideas on how to find out the owner of a property and their contact info? I'd send them a letter to complain about these guys if I knew how.

Oh yeah, and they like to play football in the street at midnight. That old cliche where someone is sitting on a fold out chair on the driveway drinking a 40 in a brown paper bag, well that's holding up here too.

do you live in my neighborhood?? lmao..

security system??

i would call the police anonymously if possible and get them for disturbing the peace at midnight ..

other than that, cross your fingers.. homeowners association??

good luck. i've had my car broken into twice and am nervous any time i leave the house overnight that all my audio equip will be gone when i get home.. :mad:

Well finding out who owns the house wont help per se. Around here it's SOP for rentals/company homes to be in the name of a trust so you cant find the actual landlord. You can do a title search though.

Calling the cops is iffy proposition. Call too much and they'll stop coming.

Health department, or code enforcement around here, has to issue occupancy permits for a certain number of people. You could try to do that with that if your state has a similar thing...

I'd just keep a gun handy and lock my doors.

Well finding out who owns the house wont help per se. Around here it's SOP for rentals/company homes to be in the name of a trust so you cant find the actual landlord. You can do a title search though.

Calling the cops is iffy proposition. Call too much and they'll stop coming.

Health department, or code enforcement around here, has to issue occupancy permits for a certain number of people. You could try to do that with that if your state has a similar thing...

I'd just keep a gun handy and lock my doors.

I was hoping to just let the landlord know how their house was being used. So far as I can tell these guys are causing considerable damage to the property while they live there. I'm sure the landlord would not be impressed but if they were a decent landlord they would be checking up on the place anyways.

Doors are always locked, gun is always handy. I seriously doubt that they would try anything while I was home. It's when blondie or nobody is home that I worry about. It's not my stuff that I'm worried about, it's my wife and dog that is the concern.

well, and the reason i say call anonymously is because plenty times cops'll be like "yes, it's the people at 2156 Briar St who keep calling"..

THAT can't end good.

what's to keep the cops from seeing the caller ID?

does *67 work when you are calling the police?

Last edited:
If that isn't bad enough, the part that has really gotten me worried is that today I went home for lunch and was walking the dog, one of them walked over and asked, "Would that dog bite someone if they broke in your house."

I would have responded, "Nah, he's gentle. But the shotgun wielding maniacs that live there might respond."

Do you have an HOA?
Id start there.

I rent so I'd have to check with my landlord, probably she'd have to be the one to register the complaint on our behalf at an HOA if one exists. I'm definitely going to check into it though. Thanks

I rent so I'd have to check with my landlord, probably she'd have to be the one to register the complaint on our behalf at an HOA if one exists. I'm definitely going to check into it though. Thanks

Yeah, thats a good place to start. Be sure and tell your landlord that if this isn't resolved you wont be renewing your lease. That'll actually mean something if you're a good tenant.

Yeah, thats a good place to start. Be sure and tell your landlord that if this isn't resolved you wont be renewing your lease. That'll actually mean something if you're a good tenant.

Aye, and we actually intend to not be here by October anyways. I just hope we make it that long without any incidents. Luckily I do have a really good neighbor on one side that watches over the place when he's home.

I would get renters insurance first. Calling your own landlord is a very good idea. There are regualtions on how many people can occupy a rented dwelling (unless you own it .. then they can't really say anything to you). The zoning board loves that kinda shit. I would also call the cops and tell them as well, I bet they'd send a patrol car down your street once a day at least.

I might even have a security system installed, or at least call one and have them come by and do a walk through (make sure to schedule your appointment during a time you know they are home so they will see it). I wouldn't be above stealiong a sign from someone elses yard and sticking it in mine either.