Pricing Conundrum - how much should I charge?

lemon_fresh

Half-staff Member
Oct 14, 2004
Marklar
₥5
I picked up a clients laptop for service. The problem as reported to me was "I type but nothing shows up."

Turns out that it was mereley the "num lock" key being on. Since I had the laptop on the bench I decided that I would go ahead and run updates and clean the thing up because it was filithy. Nasty filthy.

I tend to bill based upon ones ability to pay. For example the ladies at my son's day care get my services for for a flat rate, $45 for a virus/spyware sweep and updates. My small business clients get me on site for $50 an hour + drive time. But this particular client is LOADED, million dolllar home, Aston Martin Vanquish and a 17 inch G4 Powerbook.

Now my question is how many hours should I bill him? Should I be cool and just call it $60, drive time plus an hours service or should I go with the whole 4 hours, $180, that I sat here and watched little bars fill up? How about I split the difference and say charge him $100?

You, the member of useless forums get to decide. You shall be my moral compass.

Last edited:
I would charge the minimum, given that you'll have to explain to him what you did to fix the problem. Since he didn't ask for the updates and cleaning, I wouldn't charge him for that.

Rich people get rich and stay rich by not wasting their money. Chances are, if he feels like you're bilking him, he won't stay your client.

long tall smiley said:
I would charge the minimum, given that you'll have to explain to him what you did to fix the problem. Since he didn't ask for the updates and cleaning, I wouldn't charge him for that.

Rich people get rich and stay rich by not wasting their money. Chances are, if he feels like you're bilking him, he won't stay your client.

Good points you make there.......

I'd go with this advice