Praying Mantis Eating a Humming Bird

b_sinning said:
My in laws have a bad infestation of some freaky looking giant spiders in their yard. The webs are unreal. It's just a matter of time until they catch a kid. Last weekend when we were there my wife threw a live fiddler crab in one of their webs. The crab fought for a minute or two until the spider ripped all of it's pinchers off then broke it's shell and ate the crab. I'll get some pictures this weekend.
you should get real close and take some nice macros.

b_sinning said:
My in laws have a bad infestation of some freaky looking giant spiders in their yard. The webs are unreal. It's just a matter of time until they catch a kid. Last weekend when we were there my wife threw a live fiddler crab in one of their webs. The crab fought for a minute or two until the spider ripped all of it's pinchers off then broke it's shell and ate the crab. I'll get some pictures this weekend.
dammit dont tease me.

I'll take pictures but screw micros. It's unbeliveable how fast they are. Something barely touches their webs and they are on them instantly. A few of the webs span over 10 feet. There must be 20+ huge webs like that at my in laws house. They have a large house on the marsh. When I saw the first web about a month ago, I thought someone had tied string on to their deck to a tree about 8 feet away. I touched it and this monster spider jumped up into view out of nowhere to see what had touched the web. It scared the hell out of me.

I told my father in law he should get rid of them but he pointed out do you want to be the one that just pisses them off if you fail? Plus the amount of insects has drastically dropped. I've seen them kill hornets like it was nothing. They just grab whatever is in the web and break them and then web them up.