Pics Post your workspace, no cleaning allowed

Then file it away or scan and toss. Grr lol
Meh, cold storage is only for customer docs. Our stuff stays paper.
Scan 2 evernote ftw
I work in the financial industry. No-go.
but aren't you afraid all your computers/files/etc will go boom and then YOU'VE LOST EVERYTHING???? :omy: i cannot take it!!!
No. We have an enterprise backup solution and data retention policies. In the 14 years I've worked here we've never not been able to retrieve something when needed.

Dual monitors, nice! I have that at work too and now I want the same setup at home. It makes work so much faster.

Its easy, just recycle or throw away things when you're done with them. :waw: quit hoarding.

Some how I've burned through 2 secondary monitors at home. Been a sucky few months living with just one

You are just making excuses so you can stay messy.

actually....i've been working hard at fixing this. i won't ever NOT be messy, but i'm learning how to let go of stuff.

i DO NOT TRUST some computer to safely hold all my pictures and music for the rest of my days. things get old. they break. they blip out. and i do something to computers...it's an honest weird thing...so this further convinces me that i need to keep CDs and pictures. those are the things i care about.

but then i run out of room on the computer, and i would love to scan all my docs into the computer and throw paper out. but... :omy:

actually....i've been working hard at fixing this. i won't ever NOT be messy, but i'm learning how to let go of stuff.

i DO NOT TRUST some computer to safely hold all my pictures and music for the rest of my days. things get old. they break. they blip out. and i do something to computers...it's an honest weird thing...so this further convinces me that i need to keep CDs and pictures. those are the things i care about.

but then i run out of room on the computer, and i would love to scan all my docs into the computer and throw paper out. but... :omy:

Get a backup drive. Store your stuff on there. Keep it somewhere safe when to using it. It will last forever.

Well, since many people do it, that does give a hint to its reliability. Infallible? No. But there are ways to bring that security up to about 99% with minimal effort on your part.

No drive will last forever.
More you use it, more risk you assume with it.

Most resilient I've seen are SD type cards. Cheap enough that you can just buy a new one and toggle the lock tab so it's read only.

No drive will last forever.
More you use it, more risk you assume with it.

Most resilient I've seen are SD type cards. Cheap enough that you can just buy a new one and toggle the lock tab so it's read only.

SD cards have limited read/writes before they go bad. USB/flash drives being a bit worse than SSD drives, which have much better chips in them.

SD cards have limited read/writes before they go bad. USB/flash drives being a bit worse than SSD drives, which have much better chips in them.

The fun about backups of your data, is you're not getting anywhere near the amount of read/writes with how often you should be accessing it.

The fun about backups of your data, is you're not getting anywhere near the amount of read/writes with how often you should be accessing it.

If you do daily backups, those bits are going to be touched every day. Probably not good for longevity if you're using a flash drive...

If you do daily backups, those bits are going to be touched every day. Probably not good for longevity if you're using a flash drive...

I would use an SSD over a thumb drive, but still, daily backups don't touch anywhere near as much as a normal drive, and people have been using SSD as their normal drives for years now without sector issues.

And I touch my bits every day and they still work after 35 years.

But even the stupid USB/Sata drives are well made for this thing. Plug it in, copy over, unplug and store. While I'd never use it that way, if you are worried about losing the data, just keepign the drive offline until you do a massive copy dump should eliminate read/write concerns, and it comes down to how good of an environment it was stored in.

I just have my critical stuff in 2 different repositories. The chances of both going to shit at the same time are small.

I would use an SSD over a thumb drive, but still, daily backups don't touch anywhere near as much as a normal drive, and people have been using SSD as their normal drives for years now without sector issues.

And I touch my bits every day and they still work after 35 years.

But my point is that the chips in a thumb drive aren't the same as the chips in an SSD. Of course SSDs are made to be used every day for years without 'sector' issues. Thumb drives aren't.

But my point is that the chips in a thumb drive aren't the same as the chips in an SSD. Of course SSDs are made to be used every day for years without 'sector' issues. Thumb drives aren't.

I understand. Just trying to allay her fears about an external storage setup.

So, I know it took me forever to remember to do this, but here's my home office setup.

attachment.php