Pics Post your purchases thread

I didn't buy jack shit today, but I did pull a 42" RCA LCD TV off the side of the road.

Powered it up, got audio but no picture. After subsequent disassembly/probing, I've determined that it needs a whopping 80 cents worth of parts to fix. Score.
Win. That's awesome dude.

Amazing what some people throw away.

Win. That's awesome dude.

Amazing what some people throw away.

That's what happened to society. My dad owned a TV/VCR/Radio repair shop for many many years, and people stopped fixing stuff. They just toss it and buy a new one. Nothing's built to last anymore. That and if one thing breaks, you pull the whole board and put a new one in. There's no diagnostics anymore. A fucking monkey with 2 hours of training can do it these days. And on top of that, most of society doesn't know how to fix their own shit, or has any desire to do so. If it breaks they just replace it.

Oh, and I went to the flea market today and bought a couple of old broken radios to fix and sell, as well as a vintage fan with an ailing motor.

Last edited:
blown caps?
Got sound, picture on the screen (if you look at the screen at an angle) but no backlight.

There's two inverter boards driving the backlight with bad caps on them and blown fuses. Pulled the FETs driving the inverter transformers and they test fine, hoping the controller is OK too. Four low-ESR caps and two SMT fuses total, 80 cents.

There's a questionable capacitor brand on the power supply board that's known to blow up so I'll probably change those too, bringing things up to a 2 buck repair.

I have no idea what prompted me to buy the 27" LED for my PC at home, but god damn is it friggin' big. Almost too big. It was the weirdest impulse buy.

Got sound, picture on the screen (if you look at the screen at an angle) but no backlight.

There's two inverter boards driving the backlight with bad caps on them and blown fuses. Pulled the FETs driving the inverter transformers and they test fine, hoping the controller is OK too. Four low-ESR caps and two SMT fuses total, 80 cents.

There's a questionable capacitor brand on the power supply board that's known to blow up so I'll probably change those too, bringing things up to a 2 buck repair.

You know, I'd bet fly would pay cash money for you to photo-document your doing this and posting it up as a front page article. I'd love to see how you do it, how you test it, and how you replace it.

I have no idea what prompted me to buy the 27" LED for my PC at home, but god damn is it friggin' big. Almost too big. It was the weirdest impulse buy.

I want two monitors. We have two at work and now only one sucks to me.

I want two monitors. We have two at work and now only one sucks to me.

that's just the thing, I already had 2 :lol: a 23" widescreen and a 19" 4:3. Funny thing is, the 23" widescreen might head to the closet and 2 wide screens are just to much, and the 19", which allows for a size continuity between the 2 monitors, might go back in it's place.

I'm so stupid.

I wish I had the knack for electronics repair. I need to repair my Klipsch Promedia 5.1 sub/amp.
What's it doing?

You know, I'd bet fly would pay cash money for you to photo-document your doing this and posting it up as a front page article. I'd love to see how you do it, how you test it, and how you replace it.
I'll probably create a "gee fixes shizit" thread when my TV parts come in. I'll go over the TV repair (which is about 1/2 done, so I won't have pictures of the whole process) and help others fix things.

Almost everything made nowadays is crap, even the high end brands you could ordinarily trust will take a piece of crap made by a third party and sell it. And it's surprising how little the difference can be cost-wise between making something that's crap and something that's decent - in the case of this TV, it would have cost about a buck more to use decent capacitors instead of plague capacitors. Alas, reliability doesn't sell these days.

What's it doing?

I'll probably create a "gee fixes shizit" thread when my TV parts come in. I'll go over the TV repair (which is about 1/2 done, so I won't have pictures of the whole process) and help others fix things.

Almost everything made nowadays is crap, even the high end brands you could ordinarily trust will take a piece of crap made by a third party and sell it. And it's surprising how little the difference can be cost-wise between making something that's crap and something that's decent - in the case of this TV, it would have cost about a buck more to use decent capacitors instead of plague capacitors. Alas, reliability doesn't sell these days.

I know I'd be all about reading it. Thanks, in advance.

Got another electronics thread to start too. Just finished building 8 of these, a new PCB for a Staples easy button that plays whatever audio you want.

2u8yjety.jpg

Gee is the one that made the Nixie clocks (of which I STILL need to order a set or two).

Hey gee, I was thinking about turning the entire tailgate of my truck into a brake light/remotely controlled billboard with red LEDs. How hard would it be to do that?
For example, guy is riding too close, hit pre-programed phrase button 1 and then apply brakes, "Get off my ass" appears in blaring red LEDs across the tailgate of my truck.

You make your own PCBs?
I don't fabricate them myself, I use seeed studio in china for that, mainly. I design them and assemble parts onto them myself.

Gee is the one that made the Nixie clocks (of which I STILL need to order a set or two).

Hey gee, I was thinking about turning the entire tailgate of my truck into a brake light/remotely controlled billboard with red LEDs. How hard would it be to do that?
For example, guy is riding too close, hit pre-programed phrase button 1 and then apply brakes, "Get off my ass" appears in blaring red LEDs across the tailgate of my truck.
Funny - I came home in heavy rain a few days ago on the highway, both lanes were blocked and I was in the left lane. Had an asshole behind me who was both tailgating and flashing their high beams, so I started a mental design for pretty much exactly what you're describing.

I was thinking of a screen with a red LED dot matrix that would display 5-6 letters max, placed against the back window of my car. Up front I'd have a few buttons on a controller that would make the screen flash out text, one word after the next.

BACK
THE
FUCK
OFF

or

TURN
OFF
YOUR
HIGH
BEAMS

etc...

To get stared on the sign, I'd probably buy a cheap scrolling LED sign off eBay, and put a new controller in it that lets it run off automotive 12V and has the button panel connection on it.

Building such a thing into a tailgate might be tough/expensive (requires everything to be sealed against water/moisture, running a cable into the tailgate, etc)

I don't fabricate them myself, I use seeed studio in china for that, mainly. I design them and assemble parts onto them myself.

Funny - I came home in heavy rain a few days ago on the highway, both lanes were blocked and I was in the left lane. Had an asshole behind me who was both tailgating and flashing their high beams, so I started a mental design for pretty much exactly what you're describing.

I was thinking of a screen with a red LED dot matrix that would display 5-6 letters max, placed against the back window of my car. Up front I'd have a few buttons on a controller that would make the screen flash out text, one word after the next.

BACK
THE
FUCK
OFF

or

TURN
OFF
YOUR
HIGH
BEAMS

etc...

To get stared on the sign, I'd probably buy a cheap scrolling LED sign off eBay, and put a new controller in it that lets it run off automotive 12V and has the button panel connection on it.

Building such a thing into a tailgate might be tough/expensive (requires everything to be sealed against water/moisture, running a cable into the tailgate, etc)

You might also install a couple of floodlights in the tailgate to give them the idea of what their high beams are like.

BACK
THE
FUCK
OFF

or

TURN
OFF
YOUR
HIGH
BEAMS

etc...

Here is your challenge.

Install the LED's into a thin film which could then be overlaid over the rear window, feeding down to a controller in the trunk.

PS I had this conversation once. In most states, it's illegal as it's considered a road hazzard in relation to it's distractive capabilities.