Pics Poost ye dagz.

Luna's ear has a hematoma.

93zNEHW.jpg

Lone Watie / Chief Dan George!!!
Great picture in a picture, Eddie.
Good eye strings! That is an original, "brilliant watercolor" by the artist Richard R. Miller (former official painter for the Canadian Queen's Cup races). I was his webguy and fabricator when he got sculpture commissions, did that for about 8 years. He was asking $3k for the picture in in his gallery but I got it for $2k during a time when he was squeezed to pay my bill. :) Plus I had just married #3 and we needed some shiite to decorate the house. :rolleyes:

• Love
Reactions: Strings
I'm digging the new puppy. Funny guy - really seems to prefer me sitting there while he eats. He might be too smart for his britches though - he had messed up his crate so I put him in the travel crate. Left the room, I guess I didn't latch it completely, fucker followed me into my workroom, grabbed a watch that was in a baggie at his level(going through some stock), and goes trotting off. Come back you little shit!!!

Pepper had one not long ago, I took her in when she did.
Vet said that it usually happens due to play or excessive scratching. Also said that generally it goes down on its own, and the best treatment is actually steroids instead of draining. With Pepper he recommended that if it happened again we keep an eye on it and if it didn't go down to take her in.

@Dory Berkowitz-Bukowski My sister recently moved down and has a puppy. We introduced the dogs to each other a couple weeks ago and they did fine, but this time, our dog is being possessive of my daughter (the teenager) and is growling and scaring the puppy away whenever he goes near Haylee. Any tips on how to deal with that so that the two dogs can exist happily together when we all get together? My dog hasn't been around lots of new dogs, but hasn't had issues with the few that she was introduced to. This is the first time there have been concerns.

@Dory Berkowitz-Bukowski My sister recently moved down and has a puppy. We introduced the dogs to each other a couple weeks ago and they did fine, but this time, our dog is being possessive of my daughter (the teenager) and is growling and scaring the puppy away whenever he goes near Haylee. Any tips on how to deal with that so that the two dogs can exist happily together when we all get together? My dog hasn't been around lots of new dogs, but hasn't had issues with the few that she was introduced to. This is the first time there have been concerns.

The three of them could go to counseling but I don't think the puppy will get anything out of it.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
First thing is to look at the environment they meet in. I'd always recommend it be on a walk every time you meet up, never giving first impressions inside or in a space that your dog has ownership or strong feelings about.

After that chills things out as the other dog is a puppy it can sometimes be puppies fault and the older dog is actually appropriate, often humans misread dog signals are aggression when it's not. This isn't necessarily the case here but something to bear in mind.

If it's just Haylee I imagine she has a pretty cool bond with your dog? When puppy is around and the dog tries to get possessive I'd have another family member call the dog away to distract and treat for leaving Haylees side and not being possessive.

Puppy could easily calm down and it could work itself out. Grown up dogs and puppies aren't always a great recipe but that's an individual thing on a dog by dog basis.

Start with how you start each meeting any go from there :)

Edit: Also any puppy with a brain should listen to your dogs communication regardless. If the puppy keeps pushing it then puppy needs calling away. If one dog is growling and warning, the other one needs to back off or it's rude as fuck. Puppies are often dumb like this though so humans need to intervene to distract until they grow a brain and stop putting themselves in bad situations.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and kiwi
First thing is to look at the environment they meet in. I'd always recommend it be on a walk every time you meet up, never giving first impressions inside or in a space that your dog has ownership or strong feelings about.

After that chills things out as the other dog is a puppy it can sometimes be puppies fault and the older dog is actually appropriate, often humans misread dog signals are aggression when it's not. This isn't necessarily the case here but something to bear in mind.

If it's just Haylee I imagine she has a pretty cool bond with your dog? When puppy is around and the dog tries to get possessive I'd have another family member call the dog away to distract and treat for leaving Haylees side and not being possessive.

Puppy could easily calm down and it could work itself out. Grown up dogs and puppies aren't always a great recipe but that's an individual thing on a dog by dog basis.

Edit: Also any puppy with a brain should listen to your dogs communication regardless. If the puppy keeps pushing it then puppy needs calling away. If one dog is growling and warning, the other one needs to back off or it's rude as fuck. Puppies are often dumb like this though so humans need to intervene to distract until they grow a brain and stop putting themselves in bad situations.
You need to have 10 kids.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi

Ginger is Haylees dog so yes, strong bond. Ginger has never learned to be polite and not bark at other dogs when she sees them out and about so I’m thinking we need to start there. I’m going to have Haylee look for training classes and we’ll get ginger and Winston happy when Out and about before trying having him over to the house again. Thanks!

Winston def leaves when ginger growls and snaps at him but ginger is about 4 times Winstons size and I don’t want her to accidentally go too strong and hurt him. Most other dogs she’s spent time with were much closer to her size.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
Ginger is Haylees dog so yes, strong bond. Ginger has never learned to be polite and not bark at other dogs when she sees them out and about so I’m thinking we need to start there. I’m going to have Haylee look for training classes and we’ll get ginger and Winston happy when Out and about before trying having him over to the house again. Thanks!

Winston def leaves when ginger growls and snaps at him but ginger is about 4 times Winstons size and I don’t want her to accidentally go too strong and hurt him. Most other dogs she’s spent time with were much closer to her size.
The chances of ginger hurting Winston on purpose are pretty slim. Dog fights and injuries are not that common and can usually be prevented entirely with management and human intervention and distraction when it's needed. The biggest indicator for dog aggression is past aggression. If ginger has barked and that's all they've ever done, the chances of a huge escalation are not high.

Walks together is good, especially since that's controlled by good distance and leashes.

There's some cool training exercises Haylee can do with ginger to try and look at the barking, depending on the reason for the barking in the first place. Get her a good treat pouch/fanny pack and get her watching kikopup on YouTube for 'look at me' and other attention getting tricks and that does a lot of the work for you. With annoying leash reactivity or frustration barking the quicker you train the better. It took god damn years for Kes not to be dog reactive and she's a lot of dog to handle.

• Gravy
Reactions: kiwi