Pics Poost ye dagz.

Hey @wetwillie, you notice that your heeler has basically no neck, and pulls out of the leash super easy?
It is a bit of a poor fit, like his neck is bigger around than his skull. You can just barely get the collar right - fur is pretty sproingy strong there.

He doesn't try to pull out of the leash that way unless extremely alarmed - car rides had him whimpering and fighting to get out but he's getting better. I make him go "fetch" the mail with me. 1/2 mile each way. In the car.:lol:

It is a bit of a poor fit, like his neck is bigger around than his skull. You can just barely get the collar right - fur is pretty sproingy strong there.

He doesn't try to pull out of the leash that way unless extremely alarmed - car rides had him whimpering and fighting to get out but he's getting better. I make him go "fetch" the mail with me. 1/2 mile each way. In the car.:lol:
It's been a while since we took him on a long car ride, but it used to be that, like clockwork, after an hour in the car, Smokey would hork.

He's always been really nervous in the car, but I think he's slowly getting better. When he was a puppy, whenever he got in the car, he would get so nervous he'd drool all over the seat.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
It's been a while since we took him on a long car ride, but it used to be that, like clockwork, after an hour in the car, Smokey would hork.

He's always been really nervous in the car, but I think he's slowly getting better. When he was a puppy, whenever he got in the car, he would get so nervous he'd drool all over the seat.
He's gotten better. Funny how some dogs don't mind it or actually love it. Our French bulldog had to be leashed TIGHT because he wanted to lean out the window. Drool at all the people, bark at other dogs. Shorty even had the 2 step vertical hops down to get onto the mini-van seat, just open the door, no prompting needed.

The new hard toy from my video: wife came home, he promptly wacked her in the shin bone and she almost fell to the floor in pain. Putting that one away for a while, he'll have to go back to the pink silicone thing that looks like a dildo for a woods goblin. A pink branch - what the hell?!

Took Smokey and Scout out hiking this morning. Did a 4 mile loop, that gained about 2000 feet of elevation, some of it on pretty rocky scarps (https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/new-mexico/white-wash-trail-loop).

Smokey did his best, but his gimpy front leg meant that some of the time, he lead with his face when he was trying to navigate the rocks.

They're both real tired now. Don't get me wrong, they were tired before (from worrying about the fireworks last night), but they're even more tired now, and a tired heeler is a good heeler.

It looks like he's considering a jump for that parking garage.
Sad Cry GIF

• Gravy
Reactions: Strings
Took Smokey and Scout out hiking this morning. Did a 4 mile loop, that gained about 2000 feet of elevation, some of it on pretty rocky scarps (https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/new-mexico/white-wash-trail-loop).

Smokey did his best, but his gimpy front leg meant that some of the time, he lead with his face when he was trying to navigate the rocks.

They're both real tired now. Don't get me wrong, they were tired before (from worrying about the fireworks last night), but they're even more tired now, and a tired heeler is a good heeler.
If you do enough distance they'll be calm the next day even!

Is a "heeler sloppy sit" with knees out?

• Haha
No, the heeler sit is where they sit on one hip, with legs out to one side.

I don't have a good picture of Smokey, but he does it all the time.

View attachment 14517
Pretty sure that's a "my childhood dog Rufus the rottweiler?/corgi sit". Then Pete the lab seemed to learn it from Rufus, and Gonzo the beagle from Pete.

Can't remember if Sugar the American Eskimo did it, but my aunt's 35lb pug Dozer does.

• Haha
Got Smokey's Embark results back, 100% Australian Cattledog.

However, we also learned that he's got 2 copies of the gene largely responsible for progressive retinal atrophy, so at some point he will go blind.

Pretty sure that's what @Dory Berkowitz-Bukowski means when she talks about "responsible breeders". In an ideal environment, both Smokey's parents would have been tagged as not viable stock, since they both have to carry a copy of the gene in order to pass it on to the offspring.

Got Smokey's Embark results back, 100% Australian Cattledog.

However, we also learned that he's got 2 copies of the gene largely responsible for progressive retinal atrophy, so at some point he will go blind.

Pretty sure that's what @Dory Berkowitz-Bukowski means when she talks about "responsible breeders". In an ideal environment, both Smokey's parents would have been tagged as not viable stock, since they both have to carry a copy of the gene in order to pass it on to the offspring.
Man that sucks, I never know if it's good to know that stuff in advance or not. Do you think it will make a difference in any way?

And yeah, we don't really have many ACDs here so I've I've clue on their general issues but if that's a common thing you can/should screen before breeding. My breeder checked hearts on dogs and the puppies before I had the go ahead to have one. I wanted as much reassurance I wouldn't have the same thing happen as with Targ.