Pics Poost ye dagz.

Heelers are prone to progressive retinal apathy and low light issues are the first sign. But reflections can also be a trigger to their nutso brains. Scout is a lightchaser, so one time he got out and tried to chase down the ex who had just drove off he ended up trying to "catch" the wheel of a car that luckily saw him or me waving them down and stopped right as he dove in front of the wheel.
Damnit, I thought he was going to lead me around! You think the carrots might help? Well, that sucks. We'll see.

Damnit, I thought he was going to lead me around! You think the carrots might help? Well, that sucks. We'll see.
It's a genetic thing so you can do a test to see whether he is predisposed (not guaranteed to get it) and then consult your vet. Don't necessarily want to get crazy with preventative measures just for predisposition, as you could make life harder for you and him for no reason.

Hip issues are the other common genetic heeler thing. Other than those two they are generally very healthy.

I do the "car wash" method along his body. He's totally fine unless he stupidly tries to roll to his back on a hard floor. He should have been a wrestler, he obviously hates being pinned. Although, he has no issue sleeping with all 4 straight up.
I file his nails - we make nail-file objects from glass "sand", sintered, not melted together. I have a batch of dog paw ones drying(binder), waiting to go in the kiln.
I'm pretty sure the shelter just restrained Scout and chopped his nails with no regard to not cutting the quick, in between us being approved and picking him up. They were very short and just straight cuts. I can kind of understand why because he would have been insane after 3mo in there but still. So the ex would continually treat him while I clipped but now he loses his shit with excitement when I have the clippers.

I 100% would train belly rubs because I love them as much as the dog.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
So, someone posted this on FB. Cargo net to keep dog in back. Funny and harmless, funny but possibly painful? What say ye?
View attachment 13888
Looks like the dog could just back up. As J says that's not gonna do much in an accident but keeping the dog in the back can prevent one. Dogs suck at balancing in a car anyway.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I have a seat cover that hangs off all four headrests and covers the whole bench and a crash-tested safety harness that works with the seatbelt. Just the cover by itself keeps him from falling in the foot well at least.
I hook his harness to the seat belt but I'll do a net soon. I researched it at one time, seems neck and spine injuries are the most common. And running into traffic when a door is opened. :(

Lolwut
Only time mine can't balance is in an emergency stop.

Just start telling them "hold on" whenever something unsmooth is happening and they'll catch on pretty quick.
Telling an animal that lacks opposable thumbs to "hold on" is kinda dumb. Sometimes traffic stops super suddenly - every driver has had a moment where they had to lock up the brakes, came to a skreaching halt and sat there looking sheepish. Didn't hit anything - was close. The guy ahead knew it. Shit in the vehicle went flying. Straight impact to a dog's face when they are trying to hold on generally breaks their neck. Hyper extension-flexation injury. Then you put down your quadriplegic dog.
Make your hands into fists and keep them like that while someone else drives - you won't like it unless you are a dumb dog and oblivious to the danger.
I think animals in a vehicle should be restrained, by law. For their sake and ours. And leash to vehicle before opening any car door. Darting dog = dead dog.

Last edited:
21031849IMG20210318141336339HDR2.jpg
Cuddleboy is heckin tired today, which is good because it's raining pretty good. Think this might be one of the best pics I have as far as capturing his colors. Thigh must give it good white balance or something lol.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Fingers crossed that I finally found a fliptop trash can that Scout won't be able to get into and I'll no longer have to leave a jug of laundry detergent on top.

• Haha
Reactions: Jehannum