Pics Poost ye dagz.

He used to lick the tops of beers but not recently as far as I can remember. He still goes for spicy stuff like buff chix dip which you would think he wouldn't after trying a few times?
Not surprising at all. Our french bulldog LOVED hot chips, Cheetos, whatever. Poor smushed-faced little fuck would eat one, sneeze and snarf, his eyes would water - come right back for more and whine in distress when they were gone. FFS :) Flaming Cheetos were our jam when going for a drive.

Beer?
Apple. All our dogs loved apple - this one is no different. I give him about a 2 cm chunk. He has to play with it, flip it and himself over in the air for a few minutes, then work it down about 10% between more flips and fake attacks. Possibly a bark or 2.
Have you tried carrots yet? Mine go absolutely apeshit over carrots.

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie
Been meaning to - he's a bit small (and teething) so I wouldn't want him to get stupid and choke. Cucumbers in summer - throw in fridge, then throw outside. Our Boxer-Poodle would destroy those. What a fucking mess - strictly an outdoor activity. Looking forward to it :cool:

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
OH YEAH!!! Gave him a whole carrot, minus the point which I ate, outside. He flipped it, he flipped himself, he growled at it, he tossed it, he tossed himself(so it appeared). TOtally apeshit. Kept taking small pieces. It was time for his dinner so I grabbed it, went in and grated it into his food. Total bowl destruction, ending in overturning the dish and whining. :lol:

THe heeler pup is cool but he has his quirks. If one of us stays within a few feet he eats - no FOMO. We walk away - he'd leave a plate of carrots and steak over FOMO. Wish he was a little less inclined to get snappy during light play or belly/body rubs. The beatings continue. j/k

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
OH YEAH!!! Gave him a whole carrot, minus the point which I ate, outside. He flipped it, he flipped himself, he growled at it, he tossed it, he tossed himself(so it appeared). TOtally apeshit. Kept taking small pieces. It was time for his dinner so I grabbed it, went in and grated it into his food. Total bowl destruction, ending in overturning the dish and whining. :lol:

THe heeler pup is cool but he has his quirks. If one of us stays within a few feet he eats - no FOMO. We walk away - he'd leave a plate of carrots and steak over FOMO. Wish he was a little less inclined to get snappy during light play or belly/body rubs. The beatings continue. j/k
You either redirect him to a toy, giving him a GOOD BOY thing to do, or remove reinforcements to the behavior by ignoring him. So like stand up and don't look at him, if that isn't working after awhile you might need to leave the room and close yourself in another. Also give him treats (trainers, low-cal) for taking pets well. I had to do a lot of that when I first got Scout, even just sitting by him on the couch got him too excited and mouthy. Heelers are naturally inclined to use their mouths even more so than other breeds and they're always THIS CLOSE to being overexcited. Training raises the excitement threshold over time.

If you do close yourself in another room, don't come out if he barks. The key is to positively reinforce good behaviors while ignoring (no reinforcement whatsoever) bad behaviors. They're smart so they'll figure out that certain behaviors get them what they like/want and others don't. Negative reinforcement mostly just teaches them that if they do this while you're around they get scared.

If he has consistent problem behaviors, you want to reward him for not doing things. So if he steals food from the table you calmly reward him for 4 on the floor while you're eating, before he gets up to grab it. You also may want to reward just laying around, so he gets that calmness is also a good thing he can do.

It's a lot of work and not a linear progression, like some days he might be hearing a new bird chirping so his excitement level will be higher than the day before and it seems like he is doing stuff he knows he shouldn't.

You either redirect him to a toy, giving him a GOOD BOY thing to do, or remove reinforcements to the behavior by ignoring him. So like stand up and don't look at him, if that isn't working after awhile you might need to leave the room and close yourself in another. Also give him treats (trainers, low-cal) for taking pets well. I had to do a lot of that when I first got Scout, even just sitting by him on the couch got him too excited and mouthy. Heelers are naturally inclined to use their mouths even more so than other breeds and they're always THIS CLOSE to being overexcited. Training raises the excitement threshold over time.

If you do close yourself in another room, don't come out if he barks. The key is to positively reinforce good behaviors while ignoring (no reinforcement whatsoever) bad behaviors. They're smart so they'll figure out that certain behaviors get them what they like/want and others don't. Negative reinforcement mostly just teaches them that if they do this while you're around they get scared.

If he has consistent problem behaviors, you want to reward him for not doing things. So if he steals food from the table you calmly reward him for 4 on the floor while you're eating, before he gets up to grab it. You also may want to reward just laying around, so he gets that calmness is also a good thing he can do.

It's a lot of work and not a linear progression, like some days he might be hearing a new bird chirping so his excitement level will be higher than the day before and it seems like he is doing stuff he knows he shouldn't.
All of this.

• Gravy
Heelers have a lot of instincts that run counter to being good house pets: they're not labs whose main goal in life is to get all the pets, they were dingoes less than 200 years ago. You have to reform neural pathways through training, thats no easy feat. They do very much want to be good dogs but they need clear and consistent direction.

The velcro-iness will lessen as he gets a feel for the household: there was a distinct moment like a month into Scout living here where the ex and I were at the table and he wandered into another room by himself. Used to be I couldn't walk the 15ft from the couch to the fridge without him waking up and following. He still comes running when he hears the cheese drawer open lol.

Heelers have a lot of instincts that run counter to being good house pets: they're not labs whose main goal in life is to get all the pets, they were dingoes less than 200 years ago. You have to reform neural pathways through training, thats no easy feat. They do very much want to be good dogs but they need clear and consistent direction.

The velcro-iness will lessen as he gets a feel for the household: there was a distinct moment like a month into Scout living here where the ex and I were at the table and he wandered into another room by himself. Used to be I couldn't walk the 15ft from the couch to the fridge without him waking up and following. He still comes running when he hears the cheese drawer open lol.
I agree on all the training stuff and we do much of that. Part of issue with his velcroness is also that he isn't housebroken, so we have to velcro to HIM a bit. Unless we want a totally piss-stained house. No - the lady is already on me to steam clean the entire downstairs again, after doing in December. I look forward to him growing up and becoming a better citizen. Previous dog I had a bed under my stranding desk and another out in the living room. I could trust the big fuck in either room or lounging by himself in a sunbeam by the piano and plants.
Definately was kidding on the beatings - nothing worse than a cringy dog. Every other cringe will be a puddle. Sorry @Immigrant , didn't mean to trigger you.

Playing - yeah, he want to roll on his back. Thing is, he doesn't LIKE being on his f'n back, it makes him feel defensive and he goes mouth open like he is having the big O. And them puppy teeth are like needles! He goes on his back, I just back off - nope, not playing that fella. On your side or the rubs ain't happening. Now, if he is sitting on your lap, spine against crook of the arm, tummy rubs are no issue. He doesn't feel "pinned on his back" and you can get the hind legs pinwheeling in a few seconds. He's a big snuggler but still FOMO - spends all his time looking where the other human is.

huh, I had no trouble house training either of my heelers.

The only trouble I have with Scout is because of spay incontinence, but that isn't her fault, and we control it (to an extent) with medication.

huh, I had no trouble house training either of my heelers.

The only trouble I have with Scout is because of spay incontinence, but that isn't her fault, and we control it (to an extent) with medication.
We've had no real problems for a 12 week old pup we've had 6 weeks. He has taken to going to the door. Oddly, he's never crapped in the house and only one time in his crate when we first got him.

210315651IMG20210308140406847.jpg
Scout explores the XL crunch waters.

• Love
Bird chirping - he seems absolutely transfixed by birds in the sky.
I've read that herders tend to fixate on things and you want to redirect their attention before it becomes obsessive. Like shadows and light reflections. Scout was fixated on shadows and he seemed to get it after I put my hand to the road (so it was touching the shadow it cast) and he investigated while I said shadow. Now if he's reacting to one I tell him it's just a shadow and he moves along.

I agree on all the training stuff and we do much of that. Part of issue with his velcroness is also that he isn't housebroken, so we have to velcro to HIM a bit. Unless we want a totally piss-stained house. No - the lady is already on me to steam clean the entire downstairs again, after doing in December. I look forward to him growing up and becoming a better citizen. Previous dog I had a bed under my stranding desk and another out in the living room. I could trust the big fuck in either room or lounging by himself in a sunbeam by the piano and plants.
Definately was kidding on the beatings - nothing worse than a cringy dog. Every other cringe will be a puddle. Sorry @Immigrant , didn't mean to trigger you.

Playing - yeah, he want to roll on his back. Thing is, he doesn't LIKE being on his f'n back, it makes him feel defensive and he goes mouth open like he is having the big O. And them puppy teeth are like needles! He goes on his back, I just back off - nope, not playing that fella. On your side or the rubs ain't happening. Now, if he is sitting on your lap, spine against crook of the arm, tummy rubs are no issue. He doesn't feel "pinned on his back" and you can get the hind legs pinwheeling in a few seconds. He's a big snuggler but still FOMO - spends all his time looking where the other human is.
On the belly rubs, he'll grow to trust you more over time which is normal. You can also train it by treating him as you go to touch him and slowly moving the timing of reward back to when you touch and then after you touch and then after a few seconds of rubs and then longer and then never. Just be careful not to over-reward and overexcite because then he'll get mouthy in the future which is an issue I have with Scout while trying to clip his nails.

I've read that herders tend to fixate on things and you want to redirect their attention before it becomes obsessive. Like shadows and light reflections. Scout was fixated on shadows and he seemed to get it after I put my hand to the road (so it was touching the shadow it cast) and he investigated while I said shadow. Now if he's reacting to one I tell him it's just a shadow and he moves along.
There is definitely something to your "watches shadows theory. He has a strong aversion to passing our brushed stainless(yuck) fridge, I think due to that transfixed thing. At first he would lock his legs when we were going past it. Now he's found a coping mechanism - he hugs the fridge while he walks past and doesn't look at it. My wife thinks he has trouble seeing in low light - I think he has no trouble, she's the one not seeing what he sees.

On the belly rubs, he'll grow to trust you more over time which is normal. You can also train it by treating him as you go to touch him and slowly moving the timing of reward back to when you touch and then after you touch and then after a few seconds of rubs and then longer and then never. Just be careful not to over-reward and overexcite because then he'll get mouthy in the future which is an issue I have with Scout while trying to clip his nails.
I do the "car wash" method along his body. He's totally fine unless he stupidly tries to roll to his back on a hard floor. He should have been a wrestler, he obviously hates being pinned. Although, he has no issue sleeping with all 4 straight up.
I file his nails - we make nail-file objects from glass "sand", sintered, not melted together. I have a batch of dog paw ones drying(binder), waiting to go in the kiln.

There is definitely something to your "watches shadows theory. He has a strong aversion to passing our brushed stainless(yuck) fridge, I think due to that transfixed thing. At first he would lock his legs when we were going past it. Now he's found a coping mechanism - he hugs the fridge while he walks past and doesn't look at it. My wife thinks he has trouble seeing in low light - I think he has no trouble, she's the one not seeing what he sees.
Heelers are prone to progressive retinal apathy and low light issues are the first sign. But reflections can also be a trigger to their nutso brains. Scout is a lightchaser, so one time he got out and tried to chase down the ex who had just drove off he ended up trying to "catch" the shiny wheel of a car that luckily saw him or me waving them down and stopped right as he dove in front of the wheel. Scary shit. Another time I was training him to stay in the yard and a neighbor had a Culligan bottle that was sloshing and throwing light so Scout bolted to it, completely ignoring me.