Poop and anger

zengirl said:
At 11 years old, your doggy is probably suffering from the doggy equvalent of alzheimers or dimensia. :( Especially if he's a larger breed, it's just a matter of him being old.

That's exactly the conclusion Amy and I have come to.

And no, the back yard is a conservation area (read swamp) the dogs would take off.

Lord Flaccid said:
Jesus, now people start medicating their pets, too? What the fuck.

Send him to obedience class. Separation anxiety isn't what makes dogs tear things apart or crap everywhere. My buddy's dog had separation anxiety but he had also been trained to have self control. Plus, big dogs in the house alone all day isn't supposed to work well. Dogs are outdoor animals by nature. They have instincts. Don't you have a yard you can put them in?

I would believe that it is a lack of self control if he had done this his whole life. This behavior is only as of recent. The vet said that he probably has demensia and that is causing the seperation anxiety. I think I will need to buy like an airline crate that he can't dismantle and see who that works.

We leave for Key West tomorrow... now I have to worry about the dog misbehaving.

Candy said:
I would believe that it is a lack of self control if he had done this his whole life. This behavior is only as of recent. The vet said that he probably has demensia and that is causing the seperation anxiety. I think I will need to buy like an airline crate that he can't dismantle and see who that works.

We leave for Key West tomorrow... now I have to worry about the dog misbehaving.
Puppy straight jacket is the only answer. Then while he's in the jacket, bang him in the butt, then put him to sleep.

fly said:
Puppy straight jacket is the only answer. Then while he's in the jacket, bang him in the butt, then put him to sleep.

Is that how you were disciplined as a child or adult?

kiwi said:
Is that how you were disciplined as a child or adult?

Yes, but I think in this case he means put the dog to sleep via death, as opposed to bourbon and cough syrup.

Candy said:
Yes, Shawn cages him about 20 - 30 minutes before leaving. :(

Putting him in awhile before you leave isn't going to help. Put him in there randomly while ya'll are home. Leave him in there for 30 mins or so at a time, and only let him out when he's calm. Give him treats while he's in there so he associates the crate with positive things.

Pandora said:
Putting him in awhile before you leave isn't going to help. Put him in there randomly while ya'll are home. Leave him in there for 30 mins or so at a time, and only let him out when he's calm. Give him treats while he's in there so he associates the crate with positive things.
This is a really good idea. Unless it truly is dementia, then I doubt there is much that can be done.

fly said:
This is a really good idea. Unless it truly is dementia, then I doubt there is much that can be done.

It could be dementia. But putting him in the crate 30 mins before they leave will only teach him that it's a signal that they will be leaving soon. The dog needs positive associations with the crate. Our dog Bella use to be a really bad chewer. We'd crate her and she would have a fit! But you crate them while you're home, only feed them in their crates, only give treats while they are in the crate, and things will change. At that point the crate becomes their den, their home. Now Bella loves her crate and often goes in hers even when we are home and the gate on it is open. :)

Candy said:

Thats what I thought when I heard that. He is a good dog it sounds like he just doesn't want to be left alone. Sorry you have to deal with it but its part of being a parent :( Get a better crate and like Fly posted try leaving him alone in it for short periods and work your way up.