Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

you guys also make companies more important than people

giphy.gif

you guys also make companies more important than people
Yeah, but that was all us, not an inherited problem. I think nukes was pointing out that most of our big fuckups have been from previous sovereignities.

I think that one is heading to be a big fuckup, but may not 100% be there yet.

Yeah, but that was all us, not an inherited problem. I think nukes was pointing out that most of our big fuckups have been from previous sovereignities.

I think that one is heading to be a big fuckup, but may not 100% be there yet.
It was a twofold problem.
1) we inherited a system from multiple European powers that pre-dated this republic.
2) Jefferson most notably voiced opposition to human ownership but feared losing the southern colonies during the constitutional convention.
One could possibly extrapolate he had a vested interest in slavery, namely a fuckton of capital in human form- including his mistress.

I mean.... the reputation Americans think they earned from WW2? Cos Europeans sure dont credit you with anything and the Japanese arent so celebratory about whatever you did in that time...
yeah, that's kind of my point is that we're legends in our own minds regardless of whether we actually deserve it.

the version of events America sells its people is that we were a kind and benevolent superpower who got involved because we wanted to fight injustice and spread freedom, so we jumped in and singlehandedly saved the day. it's a patently false version of events from start to end, but that's what we're fed, and lots of people buy it hook, line, and sinker.

and it kind of makes sense we'd perseverate on it because it's one of the only wars in "recent" history that we were involved in where there was such an exaggerated "bad guy" and there WAS an actual liberation aspect, so it's a lot easier to get people to buy into this idea that we did it for noble reasons (especially if you're selectively ignoring/not teaching the less flattering things like Nazi rallies at Madison Square Garden, or refusing to take in a ship of refugees knowing our refusal could send them back to a country where they would face certain torture & death, which we ALSO knew about well before we got involved, etc).

when I was in elementary/middle/high school, we spent a lot of time learning about the Holocaust, which I think is very important to learn about, but when it came to the rest of that era, what we got basically boiled down to "so Hitler was doing all that bad stuff and we said 'excuse me, sweaty, we're AMERICA and we won't stand for all that naughtiness,' so we joined the war and saved everybody, oh yeah we did drop a couple of little bombies on Japan but they totally deserved it and everyone was so glad we did, the end."

curricula were less standardized/uniform when I was in school so idk if that rings true for everyone here, you occasionally got more if you did advanced placement courses, and once you get to college/university, you could take entire courses that just focused on WWII rather than it just being a small unit to get through in a few days or weeks on top of all the other history, but overall the standard version of events that most of us are taught is very heavy on the pro-America propaganda. outside of the Holocaust, we make the whole thing about ourselves, and in many cases the Holocaust education is as much if not more about setting up that narrative.

yeah, that's kind of my point is that we're legends in our own minds regardless of whether we actually deserve it.

the version of events America sells its people is that we were a kind and benevolent superpower who got involved because we wanted to fight injustice and spread freedom, so we jumped in and singlehandedly saved the day. it's a patently false version of events from start to end, but that's what we're fed, and lots of people buy it hook, line, and sinker.

and it kind of makes sense we'd perseverate on it because it's one of the only wars in "recent" history that we were involved in where there was such an exaggerated "bad guy" and there WAS an actual liberation aspect, so it's a lot easier to get people to buy into this idea that we did it for noble reasons (especially if you're selectively ignoring/not teaching the less flattering things like Nazi rallies at Madison Square Garden, or refusing to take in a ship of refugees knowing our refusal could send them back to a country where they would face certain torture & death, which we ALSO knew about well before we got involved, etc).

when I was in elementary/middle/high school, we spent a lot of time learning about the Holocaust, which I think is very important to learn about, but when it came to the rest of that era, what we got basically boiled down to "so Hitler was doing all that bad stuff and we said 'excuse me, sweaty, we're AMERICA and we won't stand for all that naughtiness,' so we joined the war and saved everybody, oh yeah we did drop a couple of little bombies on Japan but they totally deserved it and everyone was so glad we did, the end."

curricula were less standardized/uniform when I was in school so idk if that rings true for everyone here, you occasionally got more if you did advanced placement courses, and once you get to college/university, you could take entire courses that just focused on WWII rather than it just being a small unit to get through in a few days or weeks on top of all the other history, but overall the standard version of events that most of us are taught is very heavy on the pro-America propaganda. outside of the Holocaust, we make the whole thing about ourselves, and in many cases the Holocaust education is as much if not more about setting up that narrative.
We only entered WWII after pearl harbor. Winny Churchill was seriously struggling. FDR dragged his feet for 2 years. France fell overnight and Italy dove into fascism.

It's almost dumb luck that Hirohito forced FDRs hand. Churchill and Stalin alone may not have been enough to topple the 3rd Reich.

We helped feed a lot of people around the world.
At an immense profit for companies like Hershey, Kelloggs etc

If you're insecure enough that you gotta be also dishonest and lie about your height... that's a loss of both facts and logic.

Dude could fucking own it too in his own shitty self-masturbatory way. "Bitch I own a 150 year old house and I don't hit my head off the ceilings, you know 150 years ago this country was built by hard working conservative people that were shorter and I'm from that breed of people" ... I guess thank fuck he hasn't.

There's probably 1000 reasons to hate on the guy, but my main reason for hating the guy his his opinion on transgenderism. I've got to know a few trans people now in the local science/tech industry that are good people and I highly respect, and I've got friends with kids going through gender dysphoria and I want to see them grow into a world that doesn't single them out and hate them for no good reason.

Having shitheads like Ben in the world shouting from their pulpit doesn't help their situation at all. Dude's no different from a shitty televangelist as far as I'm concerned.