Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

Ryerson's statue was removed today. Ryerson, the founder of the Canadian Indian School System, is not well liked in today's world

I do kind of wonder at the "Dig them up" lines. From what I understood once they were buried that is their resting place and they are not to be disturbed. That may have only been one interpretation I read though.

SsV3prP.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
The kids buried at the residential schools weren't sent home for a proper burial in the first place because neither the government or the churches running the schools wanted to pay for all that. So they went for the cheap'n'easy mass grave method.

Digging them up and sending them home seems like the right thing to do to make up for that - but ultimately it's a decision for the indigenous communities themselves to make.

In any case, it's good to see the statue hauled down.

• Gravy
The kids buried at the residential schools weren't sent home for a proper burial in the first place because neither the government or the churches running the schools wanted to pay for all that. So they went for the cheap'n'easy mass grave method.

Digging them up and sending them home seems like the right thing to do to make up for that - but ultimately it's a decision for the indigenous communities themselves to make.

In any case, it's good to see the statue hauled down.
Thats what I'm saying, I think I saw that some of the tribal leaders were saying to leave them be because that's their resting place. Its why they used ground penetrating radar to see where they were instead of just digging.

• Gravy