Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

lulz, scalise saying "we need to tone down the rhetoric" right after making sure to label the insurrectionists "anarchists".

Goddamned Auntie Fa comin' around for an encore!

ok so he’s impeached .. now what

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senate trial. But the senate is in recess until the 19th. They will not be throwing him out of office it seems. Best they can really hope for is disqualification from future office IF they can get a 2/3 majority to convict. Otherwise, the impeachment doesn't really mean much.

ok so he’s impeached .. now what

Without checking on this, here's what I remember, it may be wrong:
House votes for impeachment, it moves to Senate
Senate votes for impeachment
If Senate approves, he is removed and Pence is POTUS

Impeachment fucks him over a decent amount, biggest is preventing him from having a federal office later

• Gravy
Reactions: Petunia
Senate trial. But the senate is in recess until the 19th. They will not be throwing him out of office it seems. Best they can really hope for is disqualification from future office IF they can get a 2/3 majority to convict. Otherwise, the impeachment doesn't really mean much.

what a waste of time + money

Impeachment fucks him over a decent amount, biggest is preventing him from having a federal office later

but the senate is taking a nap til Jan 19 and Trump will be gone by the 20th

basically your country just wasted everyone’s time today

No. He can be convicted by the Senate after he's out of office with the same consequences.

Mitch is doing this so his name isn't on it as majority leader.

Eh, kinda, not really.
House has to go through the vote no matter what. The House was already in session, so they took the vote. Now they're going over other matters.

As to him being out the 20th, it isn't at all about getting him out two weeks ahead, it isn't about getting him out one day ahead, its about setting a precedent that no President is allowed to do this.

If 2/3 of the Senate vote for impeachment, even after he's out of office, he won't be able to run for president in 2024.

I don't get it. They impeach him but the Senate haveto confirm is..so what good is impeachment?

An impeachment is merely the formal accusation. Comparable to you being charged with a crime.
The senate's job is to conduct the trial. Just like a civilian court, once you're found guilty, THEN you can be punished (in this case, removed from office, disqualified from future office, etc).

It's not entirely uncommon for people to think "Impeached" automatically equates to removal from office.

That's how things would play out, but the senate is in recess until the 19th. Unless there's a recall (not likely), Trump will not be kicked out. Best case (or worst case depending on who you support) is disqualification from future office.

I don't know if, but I would expect that he would lose that presidential pension as well. Not sure about his secret service detail, can't really think of anything resembling a precedent on that one.