Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

You obviously didn't read the article or have really poor comprehension. He isn't getting lauded, he is being critisized for attempting a fool's errand. Trying to save whitey dominance is killing us all.
[The last sentence]
"The fault is in ourselves. Time for Americans to look in the mirror — and realize their America is irreplaceable if it is lost."

That sentence is directed at folks of your mindset.

Dafuq is going on with y'all Canadians and the lobsters, @gee?
Years ago, Canadian Supreme Court decision rules that indigenous Canadians are entitled to a small 'moderate livelihood' fishery that they can run under their own rules, only stipulation is that the government sets the # of traps they can use and says they can still shut down their fishery for conservation reasons if needed.

NS commercial fishery has seasons, but the Mi'kmaq decide that they don't want to follow the season but rather use Maine style rules (no seasons, fish year round, but lobsters have to be a certain size range, can't be egg bearing, can't be V-notched) which works for Maine just fine. Government accepts this as a reasonable conservation method, especially since they'll be fishing <1% of the traps in the province, it'll have a negligible effect on the ecosystem, and they say go knock yourself out.

It's a pretty clear ruling but the local seabillies are like (1) how come I can't fish in the offseason, it's because I'm white right, THASS WACIST, (2) MoDeRaTe LiVeLiHoOd IsNt ClEaRlY DeFiNeD, and (3) they don't like them there smart city folk with their computer models and their marine biology and their autonomous wave gliders out tracking tagged lobster around and all that other fancy schmancy cityfolk science stuff telling them what to do and setting their quotas. Plus the chair of that whole organization is a woman! So they reject all that science bullshit and believe that the Mi'kmaq fishery is gonna bring down the entire NS fishery.

So they're burning the place down in protest. The fish plant that just burnt down was leased to the Mi'kmaq, they had a boat torched, they've been shot at on the water, they've been cutting trap lines (which if you give a shit about conservation, is a HUGE problem, trap is gonna sit there for years with dead lobster attracting new lobster into it...)

They're not morons, they're not assholes, they're something far worse than that, I can't think of a suitably effective word.

RCMP either hasn't been able to, or has chosen to, not give a sufficient amount of a shit to stop it. They're "investigating".

The amount of patience and restraint the Mi'kmaq have shown through all of this is unbelievable.

You obviously didn't read the article or have really poor comprehension. He isn't getting lauded, he is being critisized for attempting a fool's errand. Trying to save whitey dominance is killing us all.
[The last sentence]
"The fault is in ourselves. Time for Americans to look in the mirror — and realize their America is irreplaceable if it is lost."

That sentence is directed at folks of your mindset.

i didn't even read the article. i just read the headline and lol'd

• Sad
Reactions: wetwillie
Years ago, Canadian Supreme Court decision rules that indigenous Canadians are entitled to a small 'moderate livelihood' fishery that they can run under their own rules, only stipulation is that the government sets the # of traps they can use and says they can still shut down their fishery for conservation reasons if needed.

NS commercial fishery has seasons, but the Mi'kmaq decide that they don't want to follow the season but rather use Maine style rules (no seasons, fish year round, but lobsters have to be a certain size range, can't be egg bearing, can't be V-notched) which works for Maine just fine. Government accepts this as a reasonable conservation method, especially since they'll be fishing
It's a pretty clear ruling but the local seabillies are like (1) how come I can't fish in the offseason, it's because I'm white right, THASS WACIST, (2) MoDeRaTe LiVeLiHoOd IsNt ClEaRlY DeFiNeD, and (3) they don't like them there smart city folk with their computer models and their marine biology and their autonomous wave gliders out tracking tagged lobster around and all that other fancy schmancy cityfolk science stuff telling them what to do and setting their quotas. Plus the chair of that whole organization is a woman! So they reject all that science bullshit and believe that the Mi'kmaq fishery is gonna bring down the entire NS fishery.

So they're burning the place down in protest. The fish plant that just burnt down was leased to the Mi'kmaq, they had a boat torched, they've been shot at on the water, they've been cutting trap lines (which if you give a shit about conservation, is a HUGE problem, trap is gonna sit there for years with dead lobster attracting new lobster into it...)

They're not morons, they're not assholes, they're something far worse than that, I can't think of a suitably effective word.

RCMP either hasn't been able to, or has chosen to, not give a sufficient amount of a shit to stop it. They're "investigating".

The amount of patience and restraint the Mi'kmaq have shown through all of this is unbelievable.

the RCMP literally sit there and watch the seabillies going on offfff and do nothing

the RCMP literally sit there and watch the seabillies going on offfff and do nothing
One problem is the south shore of NS is very sparsely populated, so police are far and few between... so 2 cops show up, backup ends up being like 4 other cops that are there within half an hour, probably well over an hour to get a sizeable group of officers there to break up something big. If the 2 cops intervened against an angry mob of 200 fishermen that were throwing rocks and torching shit, we'd probably have 2 dead cops in the news.

The cops probably could have called for backup sooner, or done who knows what else and done a better job, but I'm still gonna put most of the blame on the angry mob of seabillies.

And yes, "seabilly" is a shitty term to be using, but note that I'm explicitly applying it to the mob of assholes who are waging violence against the Mi'kmaq.

• Gravy
Reactions: pacojas
J4n7r1a.png