Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

Speaking of which, how about those aluminum tariffs?

art of the deal right there.
My wife's cousin worked in aluminum biz for almost 30 years, first Alcoa, then someone else. He was a mid-level exec., said fuck it when that tariff shit talk started and announced his retirement. :lol: And he's a solid Trumper.:p

The Dear Leader Town Hall that aired last night. Wow.

How anyone with any sense can watch that moron and think he’s right about anything is beyond me. He’s on tape saying he downplayed the virus (and likes to) yet claimed if anything, he “up-played” the virus.

He a fucking dangerous idiot.

The Dear Leader Town Hall that aired last night. Wow.

How anyone with any sense can watch that moron and think he’s right about anything is beyond me. He’s on tape saying he downplayed the virus (and likes to) yet claimed if anything, he “up-played” the virus.

He a fucking dangerous idiot.
Yet the polls are starting to tighten.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
My wife's cousin worked in aluminum biz for almost 30 years, first Alcoa, then someone else. He was a mid-level exec., said fuck it when that tariff shit talk started and announced his retirement. :lol: And he's a solid Trumper.:p
Dude I graduated with works at Aluminerie Alouette. Business as usual with them despite the tariffs, they've got long term contracts with manufacturers in the US and nobody's gonna pay the penalties to break those contracts. Besides, if you're receiving literally thousands of tons of aluminum daily (to build, say, F150's) you can't exactly change suppliers on short notice anyway.

Canadian aluminum is cheap because aluminum refining requires a fuckton of electric power, and Quebec has piles of cheap/low-carbon hydroelectric power - and even at the low industrial electric rates in Quebec, electricity is still the majority of the cost of the finished product. Coal-powered aluminum production in the US simply can't compete with that, so most of the refineries in the US are either curtailed or closed.

Pretty much everyone in the industry believes that the tariffs were intended to put the price of Canadian aluminum on par with Russian aluminum.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
for my own sanity/wellbeing I've been trying to avoid this thread (I've been following politics and still engaged, just y'know, not here) so I may have missed it - have we discussed the mass forced sterilizations at the things I'm not supposed to call concentration camps?

• Gravy
Reactions: pacojas
for my own sanity/wellbeing I've been trying to avoid this thread (I've been following politics and still engaged, just y'know, not here) so I may have missed it - have we discussed the mass forced sterilizations at the things I'm not supposed to call concentration camps?

Not that I’m aware of, but I’m not the most aware person. I’m completely unwoke.

The forced sterilization sounds like something that Stephen Miller would advocate for.

The direction and pace of which we’ve evolved is depressing. We aren’t that far from what we’ve claimed to be saving the world from for the last 100 years.

I'll be honest, I haven't been following that anywhere. Just when I think we cant hit a new low someone in the administration finds a way

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
there's a lot of other real fucked up/medically concerning stuff as well, but forced sterilization is one of those things where even people who'd downplay other stuff (it's detention, what do you expect, Michelin star meals and 5 star hotel accommodations?) sometimes wake the fuck up and realize maybe it wasn't alarmist to point out what direction we were heading in 🙃

They did state sanctioned sterilization on people here in Canada up until 1973, as part of a eugenics program. Mostly targeted at the mentally disabled, but a lot of natives got labeled just that over the years.

A fucked up part of our heritage.