Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres plenty of shit the president is never made aware of, and it requires special access for him to view if he does need it. Yes, he technically can see it all, but that doesnt mean its made readily available to him.

I never thought of Trump as a president who would give a shit about stealing our nuclear secrets. I figured he was the type who would steal the CIA files on Bigfoot or shit like that.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
I think its either bragging rights, like he pulls em outta his safe (or did) to show off to his buddies, or more dangerously, straight up financial that he knows he can sell that shit for billions

I think its either bragging rights, like he pulls em outta his safe (or did) to show off to his buddies, or more dangerously, straight up financial that he knows he can sell that shit for billions
What buddies? He and his whole family are grifters, it's a scam.

Apparently nuclear stuff can't be declassified by the president solely, according to the Atomic Energy Act?

What buddies? He and his whole family are grifters, it's a scam.

Apparently nuclear stuff can't be declassified by the president solely, according to the Atomic Energy Act?
The entire classification system is based on an executive order https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Executive_Order_13526

Theoretically he could declassify things since he is the source of classification but it would be a mess and it would take an executive order because the one in force now says:

"An official or employee leaving agency service may not remove classified information from the agency's control or direct that information be declassified in order to remove it from agency control."

Then there is this part though:

4.4. Access by Historical Researchers and Certain Former Government Personnel. ​

(a)The requirement in section 4.1(a)(3) of this order that access to classified information may be granted only to individuals who have a need to-know the information may be waived for persons who:
(1)are engaged in historical research projects;
(2)previously have occupied senior policy-making positions to which they were appointed or designated by the President or the Vice President; or
(3)served as President or Vice President.

Now if I can google that in 5 minutes on wikipedia I'm guessing the justice department can as well. So something more weird is probably gonna happen. I'm guessing since lots of those documents have specific storage requirements it might go that way?

Last edited:
The entire classification system is based on an executive order https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Executive_Order_13526

Theoretically he could declassify things since he is the source of classification but it would be a mess and it would take an executive order because the one in force now says:

"An official or employee leaving agency service may not remove classified information from the agency's control or direct that information be declassified in order to remove it from agency control."

4.4. Access by Historical Researchers and Certain Former Government Personnel. ​

(a)The requirement in section 4.1(a)(3) of this order that access to classified information may be granted only to individuals who have a need to-know the information may be waived for persons who:
(2)previously have occupied senior policy-making positions to which they were appointed or designated by the President or the Vice President; or

Now if I can google that in 5 minutes on wikipedia I'm guessing the justice department can as well. So something more weird is probably gonna happen. I'm guessing since lots of those documents have specific storage requirements it might go that way?
No offense intended here, but you're a little out of your depth.

Hell, I've held a clearance since before 2009 (the date of E.O. 13526), and I'm out of my depth.

There are lawyers, judges, and investigators to take care of that sort of thing, with way more than 5 minutes of google to back up their credentials.

No offense intended here, but you're a little out of your depth.

Hell, I've held a clearance since before 2009 (the date of E.O. 13526), and I'm out of my depth.

There are lawyers, judges, and investigators to take care of that sort of thing, with way more than 5 minutes of google to back up their credentials.
Oh yeah. I know. Im just thinking out loud. This is all rather novel since we don't normally execute warrants on former presidents. Is it related to January 6th? Is this something else they've been working on for two years?

And nuclear secrets are subject to a classification scheme on top of that, according to at least two experts. POTUS can't just say "that's declassified" anyway; there's a process and paper trail. "Access" and theft are very different things.

So.... the FBI took Trumps passports.

Former President Trump said the FBI seized three of his passports during its raid on Mar-a-Lago last week, calling the unprecedented search an "assault."

"Wow! In the raid by the FBI of Mar-a-Lago, they stole my three Passports (one expired), along with everything else,"

Sounds like he had a personal passport, and expired personal passport, and a black passport (USG/diplomat). Im actually not sure if former presidents get to keep their diplomatic passports once theyre not govt employees, I know I sure dont.

Also... sounds a whole lot like "dont leave town buddy"

So.... the FBI took Trumps passports.

Sounds like he had a personal passport, and expired personal passport, and a black passport (USG/diplomat). Im actually not sure if former presidents get to keep their diplomatic passports once theyre not govt employees, I know I sure dont.

Also... sounds a whole lot like "dont leave town buddy"
On the one hand these kind of moves against a former president signal they've got something big, on the other this is the USA where powerful people can get away with anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.