Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

we all are. Its just so much easier to impede progress than it is to achieve it. While manchin is an asshole.... remember, theres half of both the house and the senate that just votes no on EVERYTHING. This is still the fuckin' republicans fault.
You know the parable of the Scorpion and the Frog?

That's why I don't hold Republicans to account.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Theoretically once we move past scarcity, social safety nets like UBI will take over, whether the rugged individualist house cat lolbertarians want them to or not.

I have my doubts that there won't be an armed insurrection instead that deposes the ruling class (like the French Revolution) that instead sets us back a century or so.

Maybe.
Historically most revolts/revolutions, though probably not all, stemmed from government oppression and abuse more than anything else. Some smaller scale worker revolts against corporate abuse along the way but nothing on the scale of uprisings against governments.
Did scribes revolt with the invention of the printing press?
Did farmers revolt with the invention of the tractor?
Did typists revolt with the invention of the copy machine?
Some probably did on a small scale but by and large they moved on to other things. Came up with new products, learned new skills, started new companies doing different things. Ended up providing a lot of services and luxuries.

Maybe.
Historically most revolts/revolutions, though probably not all, stemmed from government oppression and abuse more than anything else. Some smaller scale worker revolts against corporate abuse along the way but nothing on the scale of uprisings against governments.
Did scribes revolt with the invention of the printing press?
Did farmers revolt with the invention of the tractor?
Did typists revolt with the invention of the copy machine?
Some probably did on a small scale but by and large they moved on to other things. Came up with new products, learned new skills, started new companies doing different things. Ended up providing a lot of services and luxuries.
I think that's a little skewed. The French Revolution started in part because people were hungry (as a result of climate change and market deregulation, bread could cost upwards of 90% of a member of the 3rd estate's income).

What happens when a sizeable proportion of people can't work or earn money in a society which says that if you don't do those things, you don't deserve to eat? That veneer of civilized behavior comes off.

I think that's a little skewed. The French Revolution started in part because people were hungry (as a result of climate change and market deregulation, bread could cost upwards of 90% of a member of the 3rd estate's income).

What happens when a sizeable proportion of people can't work or earn money in a society which says that if you don't do those things, you don't deserve to eat? That veneer of civilized behavior comes off.
Valid point, especially regarding hunger. When the belly starts rubbing on the backbone all bets are off.

This country throws more food in the garbage than some even produce. There is no shortage of food though there can be a problem getting it to those that need it affordably.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Valid point, especially regarding hunger. When the belly starts rubbing on the backbone all bets are off.

This country throws more food in the garbage than some even produce. There is no shortage of food though there can be a problem getting it to those that need it affordably.
We've also got a pretty big proportion of the population with easy access to guns who are quick to hold a grudge.

I dunno how much tongue is in cheek with these morons who drive around with their thinly-veiled "shoot a liberal, it's good for the environment" dumbass bumper stickers, but you've got to assume that, in a population of 300,000,000 if 1% of them actually hold a whack-ass belief like that, it's still 3,000,000 people who are gonna fuck everything up.

Theoretically once we move past scarcity, social safety nets like UBI will take over, whether the rugged individualist house cat lolbertarians want them to or not.

I have my doubts that there won't be an armed insurrection instead that deposes the ruling class (like the French Revolution) that instead sets us back a century or so.
We already are post-scarcity.

Orange Daddy loved this story, loved telling his cult that he was a scorpion and then receiving worship.
Disgusted Emma Stone GIF

Inflation is a killer. $15 even doesn't stretch too far.
When they say inflation is at X% on the news that's the overall economy as a hole but a lot of common every day stuff people buy regularly has increased a lot more than that.
Pumping a few trillion of fiat into the economy that isn't even the result of any kinda increased productivity or actual work just makes all the dollars worth less.
So ya $15 sounds nice but it doesn't buy you as much as $8 or $10 did years ago.
$15 made more sense years ago when it was originally proposed, they've just taken so long to even consider it that it's lost most of its bite.

and hard agree on the overall-ness, it especially doesn't take into account stuff like housing, transportation, and education which have gone fucking bonkers in cost hikes.

$15 made more sense years ago when it was originally proposed, they've just taken so long to even consider it that it's lost most of its bite.

and hard agree on the overall-ness, it especially doesn't take into account stuff like housing, transportation, and education which have gone fucking bonkers in cost hikes.
The fight for $15 has been going on so long that $20 would be the fair target.