Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do they have so many trust issues? We have found maybe three instances of shenanigans or missing ballots, in those 20 years.

Face it, the fears most people have with voting by mail is it increases turnout.

He was saying they've been having problems with the mail in general lately, not just ballots.
Late or misdelivered, etc.

He was saying they've been having problems with the mail in general lately, not just ballots.

weird. Not happening here.

I have a hunch people hear that stuff and repeat it, because the USPS is under heavy fire right now and have been since Bush2 was in office. Attempts at privatization. Spreading mistrust is a good start.

I was in charge of "Operations" at the jerb I just quit. Yeah, all the f'n mail is running late. Priority 2-3 day is taking more like 6-7. First class is running more like 11-13. I'm basing that on over 1000 orders shipped during July.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
weird. Not happening here.

I have a hunch people hear that stuff and repeat it, because the USPS is under heavy fire right now and have been since Bush2 was in office. Attempts at privatization. Spreading mistrust is a good start.
Despite the slowness, I think the USPS does a fantastic job and for packages up to a certain size, nobody can beat their price. Because they already go to every f'n house. Best deal in the world.

Same here, but shit has been running SOOOOoooo slow. If feels like a carrier only comes to my mailbox every other day - I can't see it from my house so I;m fucked.

I can’t see mine either but I’m sure they’re doing daily deliveries. But I live in the city proper, you’re out there where there’s space.

I can’t see mine either but I’m sure they’re doing daily deliveries. But I live in the city proper, you’re out there where there’s space.
IDK - between my 3 business and other such, I'm used to getting 5+ pieces every day. Nothing Saturday. 1 wad of coupon shit today that isn't even mail. Only early April has it been like this.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
I think you should watch a documentary on the pillaging of native cultures by the British Empire.
I'm just fucking with you - you're just a commoner.
:lol: Just saying, it made sense of why you're now all bitching about the USPS and how it's being dismantled for political purposes.

I'll happily watch some docs on empire if you have any to recommend

To this day I still get mail for at least 4 other people who used to live here who knows when and I can't stop it.

On the upside if they just send ballots to people's last known address I can vote 5 times!

That's not a shot at the postal service, they're good folks. It means a couple things need to happen for a mass vote by mail system.

1. Clean the registration books. All kinda places have people still registered that moved somewhere else (or died) and didn't (or their estate didn't) update their shit.

2. Make it a request system. You mail in a request for a ballot. They check and verify you're still alive, are who you say you are, live where you say you live, and are eligible and registered to vote. Then mail you back a ballot. All certified return receipt.

Those two things would eliminate the majority of fraud opportunities people shouldn't have a problem with it.

To this day I still get mail for at least 4 other people who used to live here who knows when and I can't stop it.

On the upside if they just send ballots to people's last known address I can vote 5 times!

That's not a shot at the postal service, they're good folks. It means a couple things need to happen for a mass vote by mail system.

1. Clean the registration books. All kinda places have people still registered that moved somewhere else (or died) and didn't (or their estate didn't) update their shit.

2. Make it a request system. You mail in a request for a ballot. They check and verify you're still alive, are who you say you are, live where you say you live, and are eligible and registered to vote. Then mail you back a ballot. All certified return receipt.

Those two things would eliminate the majority of fraud opportunities people shouldn't have a problem with it.
in WI, we have to request a mail-in ballot. they send it to you, and also update online so you can see the status (ballot request received, ballot sent, ballot received, ballot processed)

but yeah I still occasionally get stuff from Maryland telling me to vote, I apparently never un-registered there & haven't lived there in like 6? almost 7 years?

• Gravy
That isn't really the USPS' problem. When you do a change of address form the post office sends a notice to anyone mailing to that address for an entire year. A) the people mailing shit don't update their lists, B) the people that move don't care enough to update their shit.

That isn't the post office's job.
Despite that, I've cut down on mine by talking to my mailman and letting him know which people don't live here anymore

• Gravy
That isn't really the USPS' problem. When you do a change of address form the post office sends a notice to anyone mailing to that address for an entire year. A) the people mailing shit don't update their lists, B) the people that move don't care enough to update their shit.

That isn't the post office's job.
Despite that, I've cut down on mine by talking to my mailman and letting him know which people don't live here anymore

Ya I know it's not their fault. It's the residents not sending in change of address cards. Those are kept on file with the post office for one year.

The post office flags that and for one year if someone mails something to your old address they automatically print a yellow label with your new address on it and send it there instead.

Of course you have to actually send in the change card for that to happen. These folks didn't.

We went so far as to take a pile of it down to the post office in person and explain the situation. They said yeah that happens and it causes headaches for you and us but if there's no current change of address card on file we have to deliver it to where it's addressed to, which is understandable.

We just throw it in the recycle bin now.

Ya I know it's not their fault. It's the residents not sending in change of address cards. Those are kept on file with the post office for one year.

The post office flags that and for one year if someone mails something to your old address they automatically print a yellow label with your new address on it and send it there instead.

Of course you have to actually send in the change card for that to happen. These folks didn't.

We went so far as to take a pile of it down to the post office in person and explain the situation. They said yeah that happens and it causes headaches for you and us but if there's no current change of address card on file we have to deliver it to where it's addressed to, which is understandable.

We just throw it in the recycle bin now.
That's weird. My mail person only delivers things to RESIDENT or my name. Ask @fly what happened when he sent a CAH to "Jehannum" at my address.

Status
Not open for further replies.