Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

Status
Not open for further replies.
US Secretary of Raytheon Esper said, "We are not looking to start a war with Iran, but we are prepared to finish one".

We haven't finished a war in my lifetime, and a good part of the population is ready to be lied into another exit-less quagmire.
1fhjw40j1cnz.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: pacojas
This is an opinion piece I'm not famiar with, I guess from before the last missile launches, but there's some interesting numbers in it If they're true.

1. They claim 60% of Iran's electricity comes from "less than a dozen" power plants and 80% of their petroleum products comes from 8 refineries. Wouldn't take many missiles or bombs to initiate a collapse if you really wanted to.

2. Now they have 5 working people per each retired person, to support their version of social security, pensions, etc. At current rates by 2050 that drops to 1.8 workers per retiree. Unsustainable.
Don't have to go in and overthrow them, just hold them back and keep them from expanding and they could fold economically on their own. They got themselves a boomer problem.

This is an opinion piece I'm not famiar with, I guess from before the last missile launches, but there's some interesting numbers in it If they're true.

1. They claim 60% of Iran's electricity comes from "less than a dozen" power plants and 80% of their petroleum products comes from 8 refineries. Wouldn't take many missiles or bombs to initiate a collapse if you really wanted to.

2. Now they have 5 working people per each retired person, to support their version of social security, pensions, etc. At current rates by 2050 that drops to 1.8 workers per retiree. Unsustainable.
Don't have to go in and overthrow them, just hold them back and keep them from expanding and they could fold economically on their own. They got themselves a boomer problem.

facts dont seem to align with #1. Iran uses about 80 gigawatts of power, and their top 6 plants only generate 11 gigawatts

citation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_power_stations_in_Iran

#2: if thats bad for them.... its worse for us. We havent been at 5 working people per retiree since 1960.

worker-per-beneficiary-chart-580.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
facts dont seem to align with #1. Iran uses about 80 gigawatts of power, and their top 6 plants only generate 11 gigawatts

citation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_power_stations_in_Iran

#2: if thats bad for them.... its worse for us. We havent been at 5 working people per retiree since 1960.

worker-per-beneficiary-chart-580.jpg

Hence the caveat. Looking around that doesn't add up.

As for #2 is 2:1 considered a sort of breaking point?

Economic stuff. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/resources/the-world-factbook/geos/ir.html

12% unemployment. 9% inflation. Banking system bogged down with loans. State run inefficiencies. Etc., Etc. Economy/revenue too dependent on too few things.

cant wait for nothing to come of that!
The assymetry wrt how Republicans are just assumed to be shitty (and decades of them working the refs) and held to a lower standard is fucking nuts.

They're still playing victim that Clinton correctly identified many of them as deplorably bigoted, but one of their talking points this week is "Dems love terrorists and hate our country" and it just isn't being covered.

• Gravy
  • Gravy
Trump pulled a Clinton and used the military to distract from his impeachment trial. And like Clinton he's not going to be removed from office 😕

I gotta say, fuck bill clinton for setting the "perjury/obstruction is A-OK!" bar. What a shitty fucking precedent.

Status
Not open for further replies.