Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very easy not to invite someone to talk to you who has views/beliefs that you don't agree with, and maintain an echo chamber of self righteous bullshit.
White supremacy isn't just a difference of opinion, it's an ideology of hate and violence that always leads to the same shit. There's no debate or compromise to be had with people who think immutable characteristics define a person as lesser than another.

White supremacy isn't just a difference of opinion, it's an ideology of hate and violence that always leads to the same shit. There's no debate or compromise to be had with people who think immutable characteristics define a person as lesser than another.
I never said anything about debating nor compromising. I don't see anything wrong with wanting to talk to a racist to maybe gain an understanding of why they believe what they believe. Simply shutting them out will do nothing but make them cling tighter to their beliefs. Open dialog should never be discouraged.

I never said anything about debating nor compromising. I don't see anything wrong with wanting to talk to a racist to maybe gain an understanding of why they believe what they believe. Simply shutting them out will do nothing but make them cling tighter to their beliefs. Open dialog should never be discouraged.
It's no big secret why racists are racists. All you'll get from them is dissembling, rationalization, and motivated reasoning while giving them a platform to radicalize others.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and OOD
Bullshit. That's exactly censorship.
You're wrong. Just because some dick doesn't get a platform doesn't mean they are being censored. They are free to promote their ideas by their own means. By your logic everybody who doesn't get a spot on a talk show is being censored. That's stupid.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
feiegvfc6ob31.jpg

$15 bucks an hour is too high for SC. It should be more like 9 or 10 here. It's $7.25 now, doubling it would be catastrophic and even more for small business. It would hurt the lower middle class the most.
That hasn't been true anywhere it has been implemented.

That hasn't been true anywhere it has been implemented.
You got examples of places where minimum wage was doubled all at once? Small businesses in my area struggle to hire enough employees at 7.25. The only way it would work is If they doubled prices. That would mean I'd be paying at least $7 for a latte. No chance I can afford that. Even if I could, I'd much rather purchase the equipment to make them at home. Meanwhile, the increased cost of everything would make everything for lower middle class unaffordable because the won't see an increase in their income but they'll pay for it or do without.

My math is oversimplified for some industries. Not so much for others. I'd love to see some examples. Being proven wrong about this would actually make me happy.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
You got examples of places where minimum wage was doubled all at once? Small businesses in my area struggle to hire enough employees at 7.25. The only way it would work is If they doubled prices. That would mean I'd be paying at least $7 for a latte. No chance I can afford that. Even if I could, I'd much rather purchase the equipment to make them at home. Meanwhile, the increased cost of everything would make everything for lower middle class unaffordable because the won't see an increase in their income but they'll pay for it or do without.

My math is oversimplified for some industries. Not so much for others. I'd love to see some examples. Being proven wrong about this would actually make me happy.
For McDonalds menu prices would go up $0.25-1 to cover a $15 min. wage.

If you raised the floor every wage would go up, as has happened every single time.

For McDonalds menu prices would go up $0.25-1 to cover a $15 min. wage.

If you raised the floor every wage would go up, as has happened every single time.
McDonald's is the furthest you can get from small business.

I find it hard to believe the floor increasing would increase every wage. You say it always has. What times and areas can you point to when that was the case, and more specifically when minimum wage was doubled?

I can see a slow increase to cover cost of living doing what you say. I'm not convinced doubling it would ever be a good idea.

• Gravy
McDonald's is the furthest you can get from small business.

I find it hard to believe the floor increasing would increase every wage. You say it always has. What times and areas can you point to when that was the case, and more specifically when minimum wage was doubled?

I can see a slow increase to cover cost of living doing what you say. I'm not convinced doubling it would ever be a good idea.
Every time the federal minimum has increased everyone gets paid more.

It hasn't risen to cover col for a long time, which is why we're here now.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
Every time the federal minimum has increased everyone gets paid more.

It hasn't risen to cover col for a long time, which is why we're here now.
People not working minimum wage have been getting cost of living raises even though minimum wage hasn't moved in like 10 years. The two aren't necessarily connected.

Do you have examples of doubling minimum wage being a benefit? I know that increasing minimum wage over time is a good thing. I'm really more focused on doubling it because that is what would be happening in SC at $15.

• Gravy
If businesses can't stay open while paying a livable wage, that's just the invisible hand doing some creative destruction.

My bro used to say “Then maybe they shouldn’t be in business” whenever I’d argue against a big rise in the minimum wage because of the hurt small business would feel. I now know it makes sense.

Larger businesses could take the hit easier, especially if they put the focus back on paying wages instead of return on investment for their stockholders.

• Gravy
Reactions: Hoff Kinkmeister
Status
Not open for further replies.